Latest activity

• R
    Which are fundamentally nothing but filenames, with a protocol and host identifier prepended. In the URL, slashes are de-facto directory separators. That's much more than a convention, it's fundamental to the way Unix file systems work. One of...
  • the3ajm
    Have you tried switching to an older video driver i915kms that comes with the kernel? Looks like you might be using the newer one.
  • J
    Jose reacted to Trihexagonal's post in the thread Substitute For Audacity with Like Like.
    You must need another vaccine shot. The Principals of GroupThink a fascinating topic I plan to cover on my blab site. I believe you will agree once recognized as it happens on cable TV News. And if you disagree, I'll shame you publicly...
  • sidetone
    sidetone replied to the thread Linux systemd-homed.
    We should focus on what we do. Not worry about other OS' following. Minimal interference from their way of doing things would be nice. Apart from the software, there's reluctance to make things better and get away from that interference, because...
  • J
    Jose reacted to mark_j's post in the thread Linux systemd-homed with Like Like.
    I guess it's pleasing to see the systemd/gnu/linux crew finally see merit in the *BSD way of doing things (though I am sure the rabid linux fanboys will deny this). It's inevitable that their next major step is the replacement of userland with...
  • J
    Jose replied to the thread Why do we need d-bus?.
    I didn't mean to pick a fight. I'm actually a fan of OOP, but I agree that it's not for everyone. I don't think that's the biggest problem with Dbus. I'm not sure something like Dbus is actually needed for a desktop. I'm not allergic to message...
  • BSD-Kitsune
    BSD-Kitsune replied to the thread Why do we need d-bus?.
    Jose I think we're on the same side here. What I'm advocating for is a sane alternative. Something that is designed with the constraints in mind and can offer a little bit of what people might be looking for without having to deal with that...
  • sidetone
    sidetone reacted to astyle's post in the thread Substitute For Audacity with Thanks Thanks.
    audio/zrythm, audio/rosegarden are a couple alternatives I can recommend... they do run on FreeBSD. I never tried to really do anything with them, but they compiled and opened, and the UI on them looks as advertised on project's page.
  • J
    "Modern" is a word deployed to shut down technical debate. Once something is deemed "modern" it is beyond criticism, and once something is found to be not "modern" it's not worth talking about any more. What's new is not necessarily good and...
  • K
    kpedersen reacted to Trihexagonal's post in the thread Substitute For Audacity with Like Like.
    You must need another vaccine shot. The Principals of GroupThink a fascinating topic I plan to cover on my blab site. I believe you will agree once recognized as it happens on cable TV News. And if you disagree, I'll shame you publicly...
  • BSD-Kitsune
    I didn't cave to anything so I don't understand why you think that I am against a unified standard. I'm not, but I'm against one that has GNU/Linux at the forefront. Clearly you have different priorities. As far as macOS goes, significant...
  • BSD-Kitsune
    i3wm-- obviously. I was saying that I've used it. I just made the statement that tiling wms are inherently more primitive -- that doesn't make them bad however. Just "older" technology-wise.
  • bsaidus
    Hi, lighttpd is runnig as root by commenting. #server.username = "www" #server.groupname = "www" thanks
  • BSD-Kitsune
    A lot of arguing over what is and isn't "modern". Let me specifically put in my .02 on that. I don't consider "Modern" to be about eye-candy, such as text rendering, or transparency, or superficial things like "snapping". No, what separates...
  • HL1234
    Thanks for reply. First I changed the name: not .conf but .cnf - right: openssl.cnf I found a lot openssl.cnf files on my system, like /etc/ssl/openssl.cnf /usr/local/etc/ssl/openssl.cnf /usr/local/openssl/openssl.cnf...
  • HL1234
    HL1234 reacted to PMc's post in the thread Where are /opt/bind9/... directories in FreeBSD with Thanks Thanks.
    Not in full. An identical analogon to /opt/bind9/ itself doesn't exist here, because things are swapped: /opt/bind9/etc becomes /usr/local/etc/named, /opt/bind9/lib becomes /usr/local/lib/named, and so on. Careful. You can put openssl.conf at...
  • robroy
    robroy reacted to scottro's post in the thread Does FreeBSD Install on Ryzen with Thanks Thanks.
    Same here. T495 with Ryzen 7. No issues running FreeBSD. Note that wireless is slower on FreeBSD than it is on Linux, but otherwise, everything should work fine. You will want, if using X, to install the drm-kmod package.
  • bsaidus
    Thank you SirDice for feedback. I successfully installed php as a cgi not FastCGI. In this moment It is sufficiant for me. I'm working on creating a web interface to manage a FreeBSD services ( like squid,... ) for a home web filter. Actually I...
  • SirDice
    Report the bug here: https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/ or contact the maintainer of the x11/guake port.
  • T
    No problem here. The installation image with additional binary packages in base.txz included, copied on a USB stick, does install without any errors.
  • SirDice
    That's what I'm wondering too. Maybe a bit of long shot but have you tried updating the bootloader? Check for the correct partition number and disk, make sure you're referencing the freebsd-boot partition: gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0
  • SirDice
    SirDice replied to the thread Does FreeBSD Install on Ryzen.
    Only the OS installs by default, nothing else. Everything else will need to be added and configured yourself. Make sure to read: FreeBSD Handbook
  • T
    tsk replied to the thread boot problem after update to 13.0.
    /boot/loader is hard linked to loader_lua here as well. So why am I getting error messages from the forth loader?
  • HL1234
    Sorry for the late reply. I use openssl from the ports. In /usr/local/lib/engines I find Do I understand right, that you thing I should take /usr/local/etc/named for /opt/bind9/? And should I use /usr/local/etc/ for /opt/bind9/etc or also...
  • SirDice
    The "Howto" section is not for asking how to do things. Thread moved. Instructions all assume some sort of Linux. FreeBSD is not a Linux. None of the instructions will be good on FreeBSD as it assumes the wrong directories for pretty much...
  • SirDice
    Did you start php-fpm? sysrc php_fpm_enable="YES" and service php-fpm start "socket" => "/var/run/lighttpd/sockets/php-fpm.sock" www.conf ;listen = 127.0.0.1:9000 listen = /var/run/lighttpd/sockets/php-fpm.sock Ok, does...
  • J
    What is Windows' message bus? Apple's?
  • J
    They seem to be supported on "modern" Windows: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/ipc/named-pipes POSIX is not "modern" enough for you either? Should Freebsd abandon POSIX compliance so it can satisfy your definition of "modern"...
  • olli@
    For normal users, you probably want to use a more advanced bourne-compatible shell, like shells/zsh or shells/bash. As far as root’s shell is concerned – that one doesn’t really matter much, because you never use it anyway. Some people even set...
  • bsaidus
    Hello. I've installed Lighttpd (lighttpd/1.4.59 ) and php (PHP 7.4.20) on FreeBSD ( 12.2-RELEASE-p8 i386 ), I've did configuration as php will function as fast cgi . Simply It do not want to work. Here is the configuration files
  • olli@
    olli@ replied to the thread Problem chrooting Linux system.
    Ok, that should work. I suspected that the ELF branding of the libraries was wrong (i.e. “FreeBSD” instead of “SVR4” or “Linux”), but it appears to be ok.
  • SirDice
    It doesn't have anything to do with this. All boot scripts are using sh (all scripts as a matter of fact). Root's configured shell has nothing to do with this. Problems typically occur when upgrading to a new major version. In that case...
  • SirDice
    Yeah, that might be the case here. tsk check which loader you're using: root@molly:/boot # ls -ali /boot/loader /boot/loader_4th /boot/loader_lua 546652 -r-xr-xr-x 3 root wheel 491520 Jul 10 14:53 /boot/loader 546651 -r-xr-xr-x 1 root...
  • S
    scottro replied to the thread No device or #?.
    I suspect you gain very little when commenting out device drivers in GENERIC. Also, it removes the choice of using freebsd-update, which isn't a problem if you always want to build from source.
  • S
    scottro replied to the thread Does FreeBSD Install on Ryzen.
    Same here. T495 with Ryzen 7. No issues running FreeBSD. Note that wireless is slower on FreeBSD than it is on Linux, but otherwise, everything should work fine. You will want, if using X, to install the drm-kmod package.
  • S
    If you love dwm and dmenu, but are having problems with st, why not use another terminal? Change the st in the term command definition to urxt or whatever terminal you want. I also don't understand why you don't just create your own st/config.h...
  • T
    Really? Doesn't make installworld and mergemaster a pretty good job in housekeeping? I think, there is only a problem in booting...
  • T
    Yes, that file is still there. According to the date it is still installed by make installworld on the last update...
  • T
    Ups: sysctl.boothmethod: BIOS Yes. Anthing better around? Ok Ok You see, this installation is pretty old. I'm using ***BSD since Terry Jolitz came out with bsd386 release 0.0. I think I still have (private) files around from then...
  • SirDice
    Do you still have a /boot/support.4th? That console-iterate function is defined in there.
  • SirDice
    Do you have a so-called "hidden" SSID?
  • SirDice
    Don't assume. You can tell how the system was booted by looking at the machdep.bootmethod sysctl: root@molly:~ # sysctl machdep.bootmethod machdep.bootmethod: UEFI Based on the disk1p2 this system is UFS? Not related to the issue but you can...
  • T
    I don't have a /efi, so I assume it is the compatibility mode. It is a Gigabyte Dualbios(?) motherboard. /boot/loader.conf is: #currdev="disk1p2" accf_http_load="YES" accf_data_load="YES" #acpi_data_load="YES" ipfw_load="YES" ipdivert_load="YES"...
  • olli@
    olli@ replied to the thread Problem chrooting Linux system.
    What is the output of the following command? brandelf /compat/gentoo/lib64/libreadline.so.8.1
  • SirDice
    FreeBSD 13.0 uses the new LUA loader (12.2 also used the LUA loader). Why would it give an error on the old Forth code that's not used anymore? How is the system booted? UEFI or CSM? What's in /boot/loader.conf? Also double check...
  • T
    Hi, I have a problem with booting after I updated from 12.2 to 13.0: Loading /boot/defaults/loader.conf console-iterate not found Error while including /boot/beastie.4th, in the line: ['] draw-beastie console-iterate can't load kernel I...
  • sidetone
    sidetone reacted to kpedersen's post in the thread Substitute For Audacity with Like Like.
    Originally I was being a little self-righteous but now when I think about this vs some bitcoin miner malware that provides the user with some fancy mouse cursors, I actually cant see the difference. The user likes the mouse cursors (so entered...
  • sidetone
    sidetone replied to the thread Substitute For Audacity.
    I wonder if it would be possible to buy the rights to an early implementation of a software as far as 1.0 release, and give it an Apache license. I wonder if Ardour rights from any previous version can be bought for it to be Apache, so if it's...
  • K
    kpedersen replied to the thread Substitute For Audacity.
    Originally I was being a little self-righteous but now when I think about this vs some bitcoin miner malware that provides the user with some fancy mouse cursors, I actually cant see the difference. The user likes the mouse cursors (so entered...
  • SirDice
    SirDice replied to the thread Does FreeBSD Install on Ryzen.
    That shouldn't be an issue. You can easily check by simply booting the install media and choose the "Shell" option. Then you can have a look at dmesg for example to see everything that was detected during boot. You can try this without doing the...