Latest activity

• sidetone
    For IceWM, I set the background in a different way like this, ~/.icewm/preferences: DesktopBackgroundImage="/home/myfolder/backgrounds/fireice1.jpg" Then, I ran icewmbg -p to get it up immediately. Also, it needs to be started with exec...
  • sidetone
    sidetone reacted to jmos's post in the thread Other Icewm startup file not working. with Thanks Thanks.
    If you're just executing icewm your ~/.icewm/startup won't be executed; You'll need the IceWM session therefore: use icewm-session instead of icewm; T-Daemon example works. man icewm And: Tutorial might not help you. If it wasn't written...
  • sidetone
    Does sysutils/nitrogen set a background when executed from a X terminal? One of my window mangers is x11-wm/icewm. I have set in ~/.icewm/setup graphics/feh to draw a background. Have a look at x11-wm/jwm, one of my other window manager I use...
  • X
    xtaz replied to the thread Strange zfs filesystems.
    It's because the listed datasets are not part of the boot environment. Because if you switch between boot environments you don't want things like your home directories or mail folders going back in time along with the rest of the o/s. If you...
  • sidetone
    I have seperate pages for 12 forum member screenshots using different WM and DE on my site: Ratpoison LXQt XFCE FVWM Openbox i3WM with i3blocks BSPWM JVM KDE Gnome3 Gnome2 Mate TWM Fluxbox Fluxbox with icons The shots of Mate and Gnome2 are my...
  • MG
    MG replied to the thread Chromium does not run.
    Currently having this same problem. What is going on? Graphics driver version: nvidia-driver-340-340.108_2 But I don't believe the driver hasn't to do much with this anyway, since a browser usually only does 2d graphics. error while starting...
  • sidetone
    sidetone replied to the thread Why do we need d-bus?.
    My interpretation of that is, they get a lot of say. The one who is able to implement it, is the one who gets the say. It may not be the best say. I would put it like, why should their importance on the implementation be that heavy, rather than...
  • SirDice
    They are entirely different shells, why would they be "the same"? One is a C Shell and the other is a Bourne compatible Almquist Shell. There are many different types of shell you can use. Users can change their shell to anything they like. I...
  • D
    See 3.9.1. Changing the Shell But whatever you do, never ever change roots shell.
  • D
    Yes, you're right. If you know what you do you can even change root's shell. But i believe it's better to tell people "Don't do it".
  • SirDice
    SirDice replied to the thread for loop not working on csh tcsh.
    tcsh is great for interactive use, it's not that good to write scripts with. For scripts you should really use sh.
  • fernandel
    fernandel replied to the thread switch from ports to packages.
    Packages are realy fast. Delete and reinstall llvm11 and 12 was less than 5 minutes :)
  • SirDice
    For watched threads without e-mail notification, alerts do not appear | XenForo community
  • L
    Important notes: 1) This tutorial assumes you have the OS you want to dual-boot with already installed on your drive, and that you already have freed up some disk space. Essentially, you will be installing FreeBSD with root-on-ZFS on the...
  • sidetone
    sidetone replied to the thread Substitute For Audacity.
    These following aren't for complex recording or mixing. audio/xwave is only useful for basic recording. It uses Athena, and is very primitive. There's also audio/sox which is a terminal line application for recording, playing sounds and very...
  • grahamperrin
    On closer inspection: not that example. It's watched with e-mail notifications.
  • R
    ralphbsz replied to the thread Substitute For Audacity.
    Sorry, but your viewpoint is so ludicrous as to become meaningless. Microsoft's software operates 100% in the interest of Microsoft. Anything else would be silly. If you install software written by Alice, Bob and Charlie, it operates in the...
  • B
    Beastie7 replied to the thread Why do we need d-bus?.
    Then we really shouldn't be complaining about or questioning D-Bus at all. It's an upstream standard we do not control. helloSystem is our only hope away from this type of influence.
  • R
    ralphbsz replied to the thread Substitute For Audacity.
    For a complete rebuttal, read https://librearts.org/2021/07/audacity-privacy/ And: Most Linux builds of Audacity are compiled without the error reporting / upgrade checking anyway. That's why even highly privacy-sensitive organizations are...
  • R
    ralphbsz replied to the thread Why do we need d-bus?.
    They are actually much older; I remember using them in the late 80s or early 90s. Together with shared memory. A few pages up, BSD-Kitsune and mer advocated using Streams/STREAMS and domain sockets. Named pipes are fundamentally a way to have a...
  • I
    I found the source of my problem. It is in jailHost's ipfw. When pptp client (192.168.0.130) is connected to vpn server (192.168.1.9), and host's ipfw is enabled: ipfw -f flush ipfw -f pipe flush ipfw -f queue flush ipfw add 00003 allow gre from...
  • J
    Jose reacted to ralphbsz's post in the thread for loop not working on csh tcsh with Like Like.
    General comment: (t)csh and (ba)sh are very different internally. The fact that simple things work the same misleads people into believing that they are compatible. They are not. My personal solution is to use exactly one shell, and about 20...
  • R
    Finding it in the source code is really hard, because it is not where you expect it. In practice, only two characters are illegal in file names: NUL (because the C-based code thinks that the string ends there), and slash (because that's a...
  • I
    Okay I found the reason why it freeze, the tap is tie to the process that spawn it, so if the process still running it wont destroy the interface, what I did is to add "&" after the ifconfig destroy so that the tinc-down script can proceed and...
  • R
    General comment: (t)csh and (ba)sh are very different internally. The fact that simple things work the same misleads people into believing that they are compatible. They are not. My personal solution is to use exactly one shell, and about 20...
  • I
    Hi guys, I am using tinc 1.1pre for my vpn service and it happily work fine until I upgraded to 12.2 and 13.0 and I notice tinc service will hung up when I try to restart or stop the service. Upon checking I found out the tinc-down service which...
  • sidetone
    sidetone replied to the thread Why do we need d-bus?.
    That's not going to happen. There's reluctance, which is fine, I wish there were a way those with opposing views on it can be satisfied with the tree. Gtk, trimmed down, and implemented differently in a minimal way, that's not reliant on the...
  • sidetone
    sidetone reacted to Beastie7's post in the thread Why do we need d-bus? with Like Like.
    The best thing we could do here is simply not use all of this crap; or purge it from the tree. Personally, I see no reason to even bother with any Red Hat/GTK suckware. Most major applications have migrated to Qt-land anyway, and KDE hosts...
  • B
    Beastie7 replied to the thread Why do we need d-bus?.
    The best thing we could do here is simply not use all of this crap; or purge it from the tree. Personally, I see no reason to even bother with any Red Hat/GTK suckware. Most major applications have migrated to Qt-land anyway, and KDE hosts...
  • J
    I have 3018... Stop wasting so much time here! I kid, I kid. I've never paid attention to that number. I just stop reading at "Threads below have not been updated since your last visit."
  • R
    recluce reacted to Crivens's post in the thread Solved KDE, Wayland and Systemd with Thanks Thanks.
    One could argue that this means they need to drop wayland. Well, let's look at enlightenment more, they have their own gfx layer.
  • R
    recluce replied to the thread Linux systemd-homed.
    Next step on Poettering's agenda: systemd-kerneld, to do away with that pesky Linux kernel. Just joking, I hope....
  • R
    recluce reacted to Phishfry's post in the thread Format USB dongle with Thanks Thanks.
    First off I like to totally wipe the stick. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=8M status=progress Then create a partition and format it. gpart create -s gpt da0 gpart add -t freebsd-ufs da0 newfs -U /dev/da0p1
  • K
    kpedersen replied to the thread Substitute For Audacity.
    Though millions of users at very large companies also run Windows. These days I would absolutely classify that as spyware going onto malware. Any software that does not operate 100% in the interests of the user is effectively malware. The new...
  • grahamperrin
    This is not always the case. A screen recording: <https://photos.app.goo.gl/b4fGbFfcAv3KkzZR8>
  • grahamperrin
    Thanks. Now I realise, I was blind to the What's new button because … … a red alert for more than two thousand of anything is a turn-off :-/
    • 1627607437415.png
  • grahamperrin
    Looks like yes: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/show-threads-by-ignored-members-in-whats-new.163976/
  • grahamperrin
    Thread was not started by someone who is ignored. They merely replied to any thread, regardless of whether it's a watched thread. No idea. I don't see and therefore do not watch threads started by an ignored member.
  • grahamperrin
    As a probable example, the Linux systemd-homed thread pictured below, …
  • J
    Thread was not started by someone who is ignored. They merely replied to any thread, regardless of whether it's a watched thread. No idea. I don't see and therefore do not watch threads started by an ignored member.
    • Screenshot_2021-07-29 What's new.png
  • grahamperrin
    If the thread was begun by someone who is ignored, did you begin watching the thread (as a subject of interest) before ignoring the person? If the thread is watched by you and was begun by someone who is ignored by you, does the thread appear...
  • gpw928
    I have been changing root's shell (to a statically linked /bin/ksh) for the better part of 25 years, and never had an issue. I do that because, when the chips are down, and I'm sweating blood, as root, in single user mode, I don't want to be...
  • grahamperrin
    For watched threads without e-mail notification, alerts do not appear | XenForo community
  • sidetone
    IceWM The smaller monitor on the right doesn't have the full height of the large monitor on the left. Background of fire and ice to symbolize IceWM and FreeBSD. This one was compiled with the BSD/Beastie logo button in the taskbar. The taskbar...
    • icewm-1.png
    • icewm-2.png
  • J
    Looks like yes: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/show-threads-by-ignored-members-in-whats-new.163976/
  • grahamperrin
    Where exactly does this appear? If it's a bug in XenForo, try <https://xenforo.com/community/#xenforo-bug-reports.46> to tell whether someone else has reported it.
  • J
    Jose replied to the thread Why do we need d-bus?.
    Sorry about the multiple quotes, but I forgot this earlier. You might want to read upthread: Linus is a far more talented programmer than I'll ever be. Sure, he can be crude sometimes, but this analysis is enough that I don't need to suffer...
  • grahamperrin
    E-mail is not the problem. It seems that alerts are broken, when I opt to watch a topic thread without e-mail notifications. Probably a bug in XenForo, I'll take a look in a XenForo area.
  • J
    Jose replied to the thread Why do we need d-bus?.
    Why is who implements it important? Named pipes is a Windows (and OS/2!) thing. I'm pretty sure no one here has advocated them as an alternative to Dbus. I'm also pretty sure they have nothing to do with sticks or rocks.
  • sidetone
    sidetone replied to the thread Substitute For Audacity.
    They want to run something else. It's as simple as that. The license allows a fork, and it seems for whatever reasons, many prefer that. The company can keep proprietary versions plus benefits from the GPL code. That doesn't have to affect the...