FreeBSD Screen Shots

sk8harddiefast said:
MATE DE with Blueprint theme (Sun's Solaris official theme):
[removed large image from quote -- mod.]

Wow that is a nice theme. I tried to find it on the Internet (maybe I didn't search hard enough), could you provide a link? I also use MATE and will post my desktop setting here too. I use the 'BSM simple' theme which is also beautiful.

sk8harddiefast said:
cd /usr/ports/x11-themes/gtk-blueprint-engine/
sudo make install clean.
That's all :)

Thank you very much for your reply. It seems that I have to install the ports collection because this seems not to be available as binary:

Code:
bernd@FreeBSD-Home ~ % pkg search blueprint           
bernd@FreeBSD-Home ~ %

Yep. There is no package for this but there is no problem if you mix ports and packages. In reality packages are rebuilt ports just for weak machines on which compiling is very hard and takes a lot of time. So feel free to install it from ports :) If you have no ports on your system do: sudo portsnap fetch extract. This will fetch the latest snapshot of the ports tree and will automatically extract automatically the folder ports into /usr. Then you are just ready to install the theme :)

sk8harddiefast said:
Yep. There is no package for this but there is no problem if you mix ports and packages. In reality packages are rebuilt ports just for weak machines on which compiling is very hard and takes a lot of time. So feel free to install it from ports :) If you have no ports on your system do: sudo portsnap fetch extract. This will fetch the latest snapshot of the ports tree and will automatically extract automatically the folder ports into /usr. Then you are just ready to install the theme :)

Thank you. I have installed it and must say that this is really a beautiful engine.

sk8harddiefast said:
cd /usr/ports/x11-themes/gtk-blueprint-engine/
sudo make install clean.
That's all :)

The blueprint theme seems not to be complete yet. The panel icons, some parts of the panel, and some icons in general seem to be not from the original theme at the moment. Did you manage to solve that? I love this theme, I predict that using this, I will never get bored. I will stop thinking how to arrange and set up my desktop and do more important things with FreeBSD, doing my work, installing more interesting and helpful software etc. :)

There should be an official FreeBSD theme for MATE. Why not make a competition among art students to make an official FreeBSD theme? I hear that computer science students contribute to FreeBSD, why not also art students :), as a part of their studies?

Yes. I know about panel handles missing and I tried to find a fix for that but I haven't found one until now. This theme works differently. A handle for example is not one image. It is a combination of two different images and the GTK file combines them in one single image. I read the gtkrc file but didn't make it to solve the way that acts.

Now for a theme. FreeBSD doesn't support any DE. It doesn't even support ports! When I say support, I mean that it Is not in the base. It's third-party. If you install ports, FreeBSD cannot guarantee security for example. So it is very logical that FreeBSD developers will never go create a theme for FreeBSD just because the GUI is not in the base and their first priority. If students will do it, I don't know. But all of us, we pick a theme and we just change it a little to make it look like we want. Also there are plenty of themes on this forum, especially in this thread :)

ShelLuser said:
Having nearly avoided a lawsuit from @protocelt ( :beergrin ) and having messed about with both VirtualBox and FreeBSD 10 I sort of lost quite some sleep this evening (FreeBSD is one of those operating systems which truly fascinates and excites me). But I did it ;)

In case you're wondering: all wallpapers are focussed around Ghost in the Shell...

:beergrin. It is hard not to lose sleep sometimes learning, working and playing with FreeBSD. By the way, I love "Ghost in the Shell"!

My desktop is still a work in progress, although most of the graphical aesthetics are done. I think...
w1920-h1080-no

Full resolution

Last edited:
sk8harddiefast said:
What window manager and what theme and wallpaper is this? Can you please post them all?

The wallpaper is modified from here. I don't have the original wallpaper artist's permission right now so I won't post it, at least not yet. The theme and configuration are my own and not finished yet. I uploaded the configuration and theme it is based off of here however, if interested. The window manager is x11-wm/awesome.

protocelt said:
ShelLuser said:
Having nearly avoided a lawsuit from @protocelt ( :beergrin ) and having messed about with both VirtualBox and FreeBSD 10 I sort of lost quite some sleep this evening (FreeBSD is one of those operating systems which truly fascinates and excites me). But I did it ;)

In case you're wondering: all wallpapers are focussed around Ghost in the Shell...

:beergrin. It is hard not to lose sleep sometimes learning, working and playing with FreeBSD. By the way, I love "Ghost in the Shell"!

My desktop is still a work in progress, although most of the graphical aesthetics are done. I think...

Wow, nice desktop. What terminal font are you using? It looks great. By the way: does someone here use some additional font rendering, I mean the Infinality patches or the Ubuntu font patches? Infinality seems not to be standard in most Unix systems at the moment. But since I have also a Mac, I know how good fonts are looking in Mac OS X (in my case Lion) and it seems that Infinality can emulate the situation in Mac OS X.

Last edited by a moderator:
BSDBernd said:
Wow, nice desktop. What terminal font are you using? Looks great. By the way: Does someone here use some additional font rendering, I mean the infinality patches or the ubuntu font patches? Infinality seems not to be standard in most unix systems at the moment. But since I have also a mac, I know how good fonts are looking in Mac OS X (in my case Lion) and it seems that infinality can emulate the situation in Mac OS X.

Thanks. The font is Pragmata. I don't ever remember seeing Infinality patches for FreeBSD. If they exist, I'm not aware at least.

This is my desktop (i use MATE with the blueprint theme) at the moment. There is a lot to do I will absolutely admit. I use the Monaco font for my terminal (it is the MATE-terminal) which is not bad. I would like to use Dejavu Sans Mono 9 but this gets not rendered perfectly enough or not as perfect as when one e.g. uses the Ubuntu patches additionally to freetype2 (these patches seem to be freely available and they contain examples and instructions for general Unix users as it seems; I cannot believe that I wrote this :), I am a complete beginner when it comes to patches and things like that; i just googled that information). For anyone wondering: The color themes in the terminal are the famous Novel theme and the Ocean theme from iTerm2.

Attachments

• 2014-03-30-120938_1280x1024_scrot.png
    2014-03-30-120938_1280x1024_scrot.png
    870 KB · Views: 2,506
Back