Can't install XBMC

Installing and maintaining the FreeBSD Ports Collection or FreeBSD Packages (i.e. third party software).

Can't install XBMC

Postby chessmaster » 09 Oct 2013, 19:10

Code: Select all
===>  Checking if multimedia/xbmc already installed
pkg_add: can't stat package file '/usr/ports/multimedia/xbmc/work/xbmc-12.2_1.tbz'
*** [install-package] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/multimedia/xbmc.
*** [install] Error code 1

I can't install the port. This is done in ports not when I'm trying to install the package which is not the 12.2_1 revision.
chessmaster

Postby jb_fvwm2 » 09 Oct 2013, 21:27

[cmd=] pkg_add -f [/cmd] works?
[color="DarkOrange"]Using [FILE]/lookat/[/FILE] with zsh/grep/find/aliases/pipes/portmaster and [FILE]/var/db/pkg/[/FILE] flat files to meteorically speed [/color] port installs/upgrades forever hopefully...
jb_fvwm2

Postby chessmaster » 09 Oct 2013, 21:30

jb_fvwm2 wrote:[cmd=] pkg_add -f [/cmd] works?

Works Yes! But does it work with [CMD]make install clean[/CMD]? No. So, I'm unable to install the port for some odd reason. Which is the result of the error message when I attempt to do this.
chessmaster

Postby chessmaster » 10 Oct 2013, 01:23

[CMD]make install clean[/CMD]

Still getting this nasty error.
chessmaster

Postby SirDice » 10 Oct 2013, 06:22

Try updating your ports tree again. There's some work going on that affects all ports and you may just have hit a snag.
Senior UNIX Engineer at Unix Support Nederland
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
Old Fart

Postby chessmaster » 10 Oct 2013, 15:25

SirDice wrote:Try updating your ports tree again. There's some work going on that affects all ports and you may just have hit a snag.

The [CMD]make[/CMD] command builds XBMC but it will not install? What may be the reason that will prevent this from installing? This help solved some other problems I had with other broken ports but, my only sole problem is this one right now: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=40409.
chessmaster

Postby SirDice » 10 Oct 2013, 15:30

chessmaster wrote:The [CMD]make[/CMD] command builds xbmc but it will not install? What maybe the reason that will prevent this from installing?

They're working on staging so a regular user will be able to build a port. The order of things seems to have changed too. In the past a package wasn't created prior to installation. You could only create a package after the install was done. Not all ports have been updated and some still require a bit of work.
SirDice
Old Fart

Postby chessmaster » 10 Oct 2013, 15:43

SirDice wrote:They're working on staging so a regular user will be able to build a port. The order of things seems to have changed too. In the past a package wasn't created prior to installation. You could only create a package after the install was done. Not all ports have been updated and some still require a bit of work.

I shouldn't [CMD]deinstall[/CMD] this x(. I started having these problems about two days ago after removing it. Is it safe to report this as a PR?
chessmaster

Postby SirDice » 10 Oct 2013, 16:06

chessmaster wrote:Is it safe to report this as a PR?

I'd give it a few more days. But if it still refuses to build I'd report it.

You can keep an eye on any changes here: http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/multimedia/xbmc/Makefile?view=log

You can also try to edit the [FILE]Makefile[/FILE], if you look at the differences of the previous version. As far as I can see you only need to add back [file]NO_STAGE[/file] and modify the [file]post-install:[/file] a bit.
SirDice
Old Fart

Postby chessmaster » 10 Oct 2013, 16:32

SirDice wrote:I'd give it a few more days. But if it still refuses to build I'd report it.

You can keep an eye on any changes here: http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/multimedia/xbmc/Makefile?view=log

You can also try to edit the [FILE]Makefile[/FILE], if you look at the differences of the previous version. As far as I can see you only need to add back [file]NO_STAGE[/file] and modify the [file]post-install:[/file] a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion. Editing the [FILE]Makefile[/FILE] and changing the diffs successfully installed the port.
chessmaster

Postby chessmaster » 20 Oct 2013, 04:46

This port doesn't compile with [CMD]non-free[/CMD]. That is why it doesn't compile. But with it disabled it's properly installed.
chessmaster

Return to Installation and Maintenance of FreeBSD Ports or Packages