issue with xscreensaver-gnome and xscreensave-gnome-hacks

Installing and maintaining the FreeBSD Ports Collection or FreeBSD Packages (i.e. third party software).

issue with xscreensaver-gnome and xscreensave-gnome-hacks

Postby lopezi » 03 Jul 2013, 14:58

I've been using the PKGNG [FILE]pkg[/FILE] utility to perform all of my install and updates. For whatever reason, there seems to be a conflict between [FILE]xscreensaver-gnome[/FILE] and [FILE]xscreensaver-gnome-hacks[/FILE]. Originally [FILE]xscreensaver-gnome-hacks[/FILE] was on my system and [FILE]pkg[/FILE] would try to load [FILE]xscreensaver-gnome[/FILE] and would complain about conflicts with [FILE]xscreensaver-gnome-hacks[/FILE]. So I force deleted [FILE]xscreensaver-gnome-hacks[/FILE] and loaded [FILE]xscreensaver-gnome[/FILE]. After that [FILE]pkg[/FILE] would complain about conflicts when it tried to load [FILE]xscreensaver-gnome-hacks[/FILE]. It's almost as if [FILE]pkg[/FILE] cannot differentiate which package is loaded and not refer to the other when it's trying to update all the packages on the system.

Is there a way for me to tell it to ignore one or the other when performing upgrade?
lopezi

Postby lopezi » 14 Jul 2013, 19:45

Is there any other information I can share/post that would help in troubleshooting the issue?
lopezi

Postby Chris_H » 15 Jul 2013, 17:28

Greetings,

I can't speak to PKGNG directly, except to say that it is possible to discover what it thinks depends on what. But I can say that your dependency list is clearly not satisfied correctly. Forcing deletion isn't the answer. The best solution is to better know your port maintenance tool(s), before choosing them. </lecture>

However. As long as you have already forcefully removed [file]xscreensaver-gnome-hacks[/file], you might just as well do the same to [file]xscreensaver-gnome[/file]. You'll receive the same errors generated from the [file]+REQUIRED_BY[/file]. But as you've already declared, you're not concerned about meeting the port's dependency list.

Personally, I'd strongly recommend the use of [pman=8]portmaster[/pman] to manage your ports. It is extremely easy to understand, and requires no other tools, than what your system already provides.

Anyway, after you have forcefully removed [file]xscreensaver-gnome[/file]. You should be able to [cmd]cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome-screensaver[/cmd] and perform
Code: Select all
make clean
make
make install && make clean

But I would highly recommend doing
cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster
make clean
make
make install && make clean

then
portmaster --check-depends

before attempting to reinstall [FILE]gnome-screensaver[/FILE], or [FILE]gnome-screensaver-hacks[/FILE]. Because [pman=8]portmaster[/pman] will let you know what discrepancies exist in your installed ports base.

HTH, and sorry for the lecture. :)

--chris
uname FreeBSD 8.4-STABLE AMD64
Feminists believe FreeBSD should have come with woman pages.
Chris_H

Return to Installation and Maintenance of FreeBSD Ports or Packages