First release of JabirBSD!

Jabir Technologies Foundation is proud to announce the first release of JabirBSD.

After a year of development, we decided to use FreeBSD in our projects. Now we have created JabirBSD as a rebrand of “FreeBSD”. After a while, we’ll fork it from FreeBSD and we’ll create a new *BSD variant like “DragonFly”.

Now you can download and test version “1.0″ of JabirBSD.

More info and download: http://jabirproject.org/?p=305

IRC: #jabirbsd on FreeNode
Forums: http://community.jabirproject.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=18

What's the goal? I mean, what are you planning to change that's done differently from PC-BSD, DesktopBSD, GhostBSD or FreeBSD itself?

Not to rain on anyone's parade but I'm left wondering why, there's no mention of any project goals, even on the website.

Yeah, look at the other variants of BSD that have been successful. All of them have very definite goals. For example OpenBSD concentrates on security, PC-BSD is a prepackaged ready to use desktop system based on FreeBSD. What is the goal of this variant?

No goals in Text release. because it's only Jabir Technologies "Commercial Signature". But in GUI release, our goal will be a good operating system for old computers with the XFCE desktop

Jabir(Jabeeer) is a kind of Iranian gazelle. JabirBSD is a symbolic name for a BSD variant from Iran ;)

I'm ok with this, as long as it's not just another cheap rip off Linux distro esque thing, the kind where they get someone else's distro, add a new theme, a new wallpaper and some packages and slap their own name on it. Hopefully this project has it's own visions.

I'm slightly concerned that this will turn out to be a poorly supported and customized version of FreeBSD for which we (the FreeBSD Forum members) will need to provide support, even though any advice may actually kill the customizations that set it apart from regular FreeBSD.

I just tried going to the IRC channel and it doesn't seem to exist? Did I become crazier in the past few month or something?

prp-e said:
Jabir Technologies Foundation is proud to announce the first release of JabirBSD.
More info and download: http://jabirproject.org/?p=305

I looked over your site, and not to rain on your parade, but it looks like you take an OS, customize its theme and then re-brand it as your own? Example: JabirOS 2.0 XFCE, JabirOS 4.0 LTS – Unity.

Your site points to a lot of pages lacking any real content. It specially lacks any information regarding your goal or direction and what the benefit of the user is from using your system vs using the Base OS you are re-branding. If you have a clear goal/direction and valid reason as to why you need to fork FreeBSD and re-brand it as your own OS, then include that information.

Just my 0.02c.

Farsi is one of the original Persian/Iranian languages. It seems that there is a start up to help further promote Open Source in the Fertile Crescent. So what now?
  • Contact the mailing lists to see if there is one dedicated to the Farsi language. If there is not, then it may be time to create it.
  • Ask if there are any other active users in that region who are willing to help with the site.
  • Seek advice on what is re-branding and forking.

Ok.

IRC channel: I can join it. I think that it's not registered, and I have to re-register it.

@redw0lfx: See the wiki. There are all of our products. Linux based, BSD based and OpenSolaris based :)

Last edited by a moderator:
IRC is still the only reliable global chat system in existence, just because it's old doesn't mean it's obsolete or outdated.

Beats me really. From the sound of it, it deals with Persian localization mostly and in my opinion any work in those areas should be contributed directly to PC-BSD or FreeBSD.

kpa said:
Beats me really. From the sound of it, it deals with persian localization mostly and in my opinion any work in those areas should be contributed directly to PC-BSD or FreeBSD.

If that is true, then yes, it would help more people if the work was offered to FreeBSD directly, instead of forking FreeBSD just for this.

IMO, the biggest problem of Linux community is that everyone tears the the open source wrap to his very own side.

This problem however could be forgotten with the use of major distributions like SuSE, Ubuntu or such, because they have a commercial background (e.g.: they will provide what the majority of users will want). Please-please don't do that. Just make a port for your system and support it well.

kpa said:
IRC is still the only reliable global chat system in existence, just because it's old doesn't mean it's obsolete or outdated.

Indeed, although the netsplits on freenode in the past few days have been unfortunate.

Back