Solaris vs FreeBSD

Have some non-FreeBSD related questions, or want just to chit-chat about anything that is not related to FreeBSD? This is the forum for you.

Solaris vs FreeBSD

Postby ramakrishna » 08 Dec 2012, 20:17

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 at present. I am a big fan of Ubuntu. I need Ubuntu like Unix based OS which one should I prefer either Solaris or FreeBSD?
ramakrishna

Postby UNIXgod » 08 Dec 2012, 20:38

FreeBSD.
I don't work here.... either.
SHUT UP AND HACK!

dev=null=->( awk, *sh, &vi){ lambda{ |ruby, *bsd| ruby+bsd }.curry }.(/:(){ :|:& };:/).([' 3< r0x4h'.reverse!, `echo $(ruby -v) $(uname -s) | awk '{print $7"+"$1}'`.upcase]); printf "\n"*(2*3*6); 42.times {|null| printf( dev[ null[ null[ null]]]) }

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/free ... 61078.html
UNIXgod

Postby Majorix » 08 Dec 2012, 20:39

FreeBSD is getting closer to the idea of Ubuntu with the new [FILE]pkg[/FILE]. Kinda like [FILE]apt-get[/FILE] for Debian-based distros (which includes Ubuntu). Other than that, I really can't think of any similarities.
Majorix

Postby wblock@ » 08 Dec 2012, 21:15

Why can't you just use Ubuntu?
wblock@
Old Fart

Postby Remington » 08 Dec 2012, 21:59

I like Solaris and OpenIndiana, however, one major problem is their package repository is woefully outdated. Solaris future is much more bleaker since Oracle ended OpenSolaris project. I'm planning to change my servers from Solaris to FreeBSD in the near future.

Solaris ZFS and Zones are very powerful tools but since they ended the OpenSolaris project and I do not see them moving forward any further. FreeBSD will eventually catch up and finish off Solaris for good. IMHO.

Funny enough that Solaris borrowed the idea or more accurately stole FreeBSD's jail codes to create Solaris' zone. Oracle said they'll release the Solaris code but they haven't for 2 years and I seriously doubt they will in the near future. FreeBSD or Illumos' ZFS is beginning to split off from Solaris base code so we probably will end up with two different versions of ZFS.
Remington

Postby ramakrishna » 09 Dec 2012, 01:33

wblock@ wrote:Why can't you just use Ubuntu?

I need Unix like OS because it is a complete OS but Ubuntu is just Kernel.
ramakrishna

Postby neowolf » 09 Dec 2012, 01:36

Linux is the kernel. Ubuntu is the distribution/OS.
neowolf

Postby UNIXgod » 09 Dec 2012, 02:44

ramakrishna wrote:I need Unix like OS because it is a complete OS but Ubuntu is just Kernel.

Give it a go. FreeBSD is a complete OS. I'll betcha that you enjoy working with it after you get your bearings.

This may help you:

http://www5.us.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html

This also:

http://www5.us.freebsd.org/features.html
I don't work here.... either.
SHUT UP AND HACK!

dev=null=->( awk, *sh, &vi){ lambda{ |ruby, *bsd| ruby+bsd }.curry }.(/:(){ :|:& };:/).([' 3< r0x4h'.reverse!, `echo $(ruby -v) $(uname -s) | awk '{print $7"+"$1}'`.upcase]); printf "\n"*(2*3*6); 42.times {|null| printf( dev[ null[ null[ null]]]) }

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/free ... 61078.html
UNIXgod

Postby throAU » 09 Dec 2012, 11:05

If you're after something similar to Ubuntu, you might be better served with PC-BSD. It's basically FreeBSD with a friendlier installer, default package collection aimed at X11 desktop use, etc.
I use: FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Windows, Netapp, Cisco UCS, Cisco CUCM, Cisco IOS, Cisco ASA, vSphere 5.1, Cisco ISE, Orion NPM
throAU

Postby gkontos » 09 Dec 2012, 15:27

Last time I checked Solaris was not free. If you can afford $2K annually I would recommend you to try Solaris.
Powered by BareBSD
gkontos

Postby throAU » 09 Dec 2012, 17:07

Given that much of the programming talent fled Sun when Oracle bought them out, I'd suggest you don't :D
I use: FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Windows, Netapp, Cisco UCS, Cisco CUCM, Cisco IOS, Cisco ASA, vSphere 5.1, Cisco ISE, Orion NPM
throAU

Postby Webhostbudd » 10 Dec 2012, 19:38

Keep in mind that Illumos has become the new open source Solaris fork and derivative systems have been running pretty strong. If you really like Solaris for some reason, consider trying something like Omnios or Smartos.
Webhostbudd

Postby matoatlantis » 10 Dec 2012, 20:41

I'd say this is off-topic even for off-topic thread. :) Putting smiley face just to stress it's meant in friendly way.

If in doubt try both of them (e.g. as [FILE]VM[/FILE] in Ubuntu) and get familiar with them. Both OSes have strong documentation, community and developers.

But answer to your question is actually simple: use whatever you're feeling comfortable with, meets your expectations and makes your life easier.
[color="Gray"]..when you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all..[/color]
matoatlantis

Postby ChalkBored » 11 Dec 2012, 01:43

Is Nexenta still around? It used to be OpenSolaris with a mostly Ubuntu userland.
I hated it, but if you're looking for something like Ubuntu, there you go.
ChalkBored

Postby gkontos » 11 Dec 2012, 10:21

ChalkBored wrote:Is Nexenta still around?

Nexenta is following an aggressive sales & marketing strategy. Just call up SupeMicro and tell them that you are planning to build huge storage solutions. They will try to sell you Nexenda.