"pkg_add -r pkg" fails with could not find package

Installing and maintaining the FreeBSD Ports Collection or FreeBSD Packages (i.e. third party software).

"pkg_add -r pkg" fails with could not find package

Postby cartland » 08 Nov 2012, 05:40

My first time installing FreeBSD. After a week of pouring over the forums, handbook, etc, and several attempts (taking incremental snapshots), I finally got an error free installation in a VirtualBox VM including KDE and NFS to the Ubuntu host (Linux Mint 13 actually) :e.

I still haven't quite grokked the packages/ports RELEASE/STABLE/CURRENT stuff yet. So thought I'd finally ask a question relating to packaging.

Based on [port]ports-mgmt/pkg[/port], I run "pkg_add -r pkg" and get
Code: Select all
Error: Unable to get [url]ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.0-release/Latest/pkg.tbz:[/url] File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)

Since my understanding is somewhat :q despite reading the handbook (probably missed something), can someone point me in the right direction - i.e. what are the high-level steps I need to take to install pkgng?

BTW:
I notice pkg-1.0.1.tbz exists in
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-current/ports-mgmt
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/ports-mgmt
So I tried the stable version (pkg_add ftp:.....). Seemed to work but is this approach advisable in general?

thanks
cartland

Postby SirDice » 08 Nov 2012, 07:57

If you installed the 9.1 release candidate you can simply run [file]pkg[/file] and it'll bootstrap itself.
Senior UNIX Engineer at Unix Support Nederland
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
Old Fart

Postby cartland » 09 Nov 2012, 00:21

After running pk2ng I get errors:

pkg: Skipping malformed dependency perl-threaded

I originally removed it with [FILE]pkg_delete -f[/FILE] because some [FILE]sysinstall[/FILE] package wanted the non-threaded version which conflicted (can't remember the package - kde or X11 I think).

pkg: lstat(....): No such file or directory

Got a bunch of these.

3. Finally at the end:
Some packages failed to register .. : libungif-4.1.4_5

And with [FILE]PACKAGESITE[/FILE] = ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/9.0-RELEASE/packages/Latest/

[FILE]pkg update[/FILE] gives

pkg: [url]ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/9.0-RELEASE/packages/Latest//repo.txz:[/url] File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)

How best should I proceed?

thanks
cartland

Postby jb_fvwm2 » 09 Nov 2012, 03:56

set [FILE]PACKAGESITE[/FILE] to [FILE]9-STABLE[/FILE]? (Search the forum for [FILE]PACKAGESITE[/FILE] threads, one or more will show completely how.)
[color="DarkOrange"]Using [FILE]/lookat/[/FILE] with zsh/grep/find/aliases/pipes/portmaster and [FILE]/var/db/pkg/[/FILE] flat files to meteorically speed [/color] port installs/upgrades forever hopefully...
jb_fvwm2

Postby cartland » 09 Nov 2012, 05:30

jb_fvwm2 wrote:set PACKAGESITE to [FILE]9-STABLE[/FILE]? (Search the forum for PACKAGESITE threads, one or more will show completely how.)

Thanks - I've had a search around - most discussion is related to pkg_add.

At the moment I am getting by using [FILE]pkg_add[/FILE] with
[FILE]PACKAGESITE=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest/[/FILE]

However I'd like to get [FILE]pkgng[/FILE] working.

In my [FILE]pkg.conf[/FILE] file, I tried a few different variations under "http://pkgbeta.freebsd.org/freebsd-9-amd64/" where [FILE]repo.txz[/FILE] exists

but they all give the same error below - e.g.
pkg: [url]http://pkgbeta/freebsd.org/freebsd-9-amd64/latest/repo.txz:[/url] No address record
cartland

Postby cartland » 09 Nov 2012, 06:09

jb_fvwm2 wrote:set PACKAGESITE to [FILE]9-STABLE[/FILE]? (Search the forum for PACKAGESITE threads, one or more will show completely how.)

Updating [FILE]/usr/local/etc/pkg.conf[/FILE] with [FILE]PACKAGESITE[/FILE]: http://pkgbeta.freebsd.org/freebsd-9-amd64/latest (not http://pkgbeta/freebsd.org/freebsd-9-amd64/latest :r) worked.

thanks.
cartland

Return to Installation and Maintenance of FreeBSD Ports or Packages