PKGNG - portmaster disabled problem

Installing and maintaining the FreeBSD Ports Collection or FreeBSD Packages (i.e. third party software).

PKGNG - portmaster disabled problem

Postby pphalen » 30 Oct 2012, 16:58

On two servers, I followed the instructions for updating to pkgng, with portmaster:
Code: Select all
# portsnap fetch update
# make -C /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster config clean build deinstall install
# echo "WITH_PKGNG=yes" >> /etc/make.conf
# pkg2ng

Now, one machine updates with portmaster without complaint, but the other says:
"Package installation support cannot be used with pkgng yet, it will be disabled."

I reinstalled portmaster again, but that didn't help. Suggestions?

FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE
pphalen

Postby SirDice » 30 Oct 2012, 17:10

Install [port]ports-mgmt/portmaster[/port] again and make sure you enable [FILE]PKGNGPATCH[/FILE].
Senior UNIX Engineer at Unix Support Nederland
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
Old Fart

Postby pphalen » 30 Oct 2012, 17:21

Yes, I've already tried twice
[cmd=#]make -C /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster config clean build deinstall install[/cmd]

and confirmed [FILE]PKGNGPATCH[/FILE] box was checked. Same problem. And then attempting to run [FILE]pkg2ng[/FILE] again complains of corrupted formats, since it uses [man=1]pkg_info[/man]. So I'm still stuck.
pphalen

Postby break19 » 30 Oct 2012, 22:30

"Package installation support cannot be used with pkgng yet, it will be disabled." Means just what it says.. You cannot use portmaster to install -packages- only ports.
break19

Postby pphalen » 30 Oct 2012, 22:50

Thanks, but as I mentioned, one (identically configured) other machine doesn't issue that warning. So still a bit of a puzzle...
pphalen

Postby KdeBruin » 31 Oct 2012, 07:59

Did you by any change install any packages on the machine with the warning?
KdeBruin

Postby pphalen » 31 Oct 2012, 15:47

Portmaster installed ports, but I haven't manually installed any packages using the 'pkg' command. Is that what you mean?
pphalen

Postby tankist02 » 15 Feb 2013, 00:59

I also have the same problem with portmaster and pkgng.
tankist02

Postby dave » 02 Mar 2013, 23:33

Same
dave

Postby DutchDaemon » 03 Mar 2013, 01:26

The [FILE]portmaster[/FILE] warning about packages should only come up if you're running it with the [FILE]-P[/FILE] or [FILE]-PP[/FILE] flag (or equivalent setting in [FILE]/usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc[/FILE], like using only packages for build dependencies, etc.).
DutchDaemon
Old Fart

Postby kpa » 03 Mar 2013, 02:06

There's no reason to use the package options of [port]ports-mgmt/portmaster[/port] with PKGNG, use [FILE]pkg install[/FILE] etc. directly.
kpa
MFC'd

Postby DutchDaemon » 03 Mar 2013, 02:49

Installing ports with [FILE]portmaster[/FILE] while using binary packages for build-only dependencies (removing them right after installation) is a very nice thing to have. That's a regular option in [FILE]portmaster.rc[/FILE], and I hope to see it working again soon.
DutchDaemon
Old Fart

Postby ObiektywNy » 21 Aug 2013, 14:20

I need some clarification. I used [FILE]portmaster[/FILE], and I am on a fresh 9.1-RELEASE, should I now only use [FILE]pkg install[/FILE] to install the ports or I can still use a string as [cmd]# portmaster /lang/php5[/cmd] or is installation with [cmd]# cd /usr/ports/lang/php5/ && make install clean[/cmd] also fine? I am not sure with installation way I can use and which I should not mix.
ObiektywNy

Postby dave » 21 Aug 2013, 15:36

Get clear on the difference between packages and ports: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/ports.html

I suggest you use ports, and [FILE]portmaster[/FILE] is a great utility for managing ports. If you don't have it installed already, [cmd]# cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster && make install clean[/cmd]. Also, drop the leading slash from your portmaster command: [cmd]# portmaster lang/php5[/cmd].

And make sure you read up on the options for [FILE]portmaster[/FILE]: [cmd]# man portmaster[/cmd]
dave

Fresh install of FBSD 9.1

Postby Bucky » 26 Sep 2013, 21:11

For a fresh install of FreeBSD 9.1 (since July 2013 and probably earlier), do NOT invoke the [FILE]pkg[/FILE] command. Do the fresh install like this:

Fresh install per usual, login/password, do minor housekeeping, then in this order:
  1. Add
    WITH_PKGNG=yes
    to [FILE]/etc/make.conf[/FILE]
  2. [CMD]portsnap fetch extract[/CMD]
  3. [CMD]cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg[/CMD] ([CMD]make install clean[/CMD])
  4. [CMD]cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster[/CMD] ([CMD]make install clean[/CMD])
then use [CMD]pkg version[/CMD] to show installed ports and [CMD]portmaster -L[/CMD] to confirm the same thing.

If you simply type [CMD]pkg[/CMD] instead of installing [FILE]pkg[/FILE] from the ports collection as described above, it will install an earlier version of [FILE]pkg[/FILE] which doesn't play nice with [FILE]portmaster[/FILE]. On a fresh install you do NOT need to run [FILE]pkg2ng[/FILE], since there is no database to convert at that point.

I confirmed this behavior on a Virtualbox install a few minutes ago (using x32 architecture, but it is certainly also true for the x64 platform.)

Cheers!

PS - this may be needed for the upcoming 9.2 release as well, so do the ports collection install and avoid a headache.
Bucky

Postby morbit » 31 Oct 2013, 21:41

DutchDaemon wrote:Installing ports with [FILE]portmaster[/FILE] while using binary packages for build-only dependencies (removing them right after installation) is a very nice thing to have. That's a regular option in [FILE]portmaster.rc[/FILE], and I hope to see it working again soon.

This somehow bite me after just reading announcement and finally taking the plunge.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pkg/2013-October/000107.html

Previously, I was waiting for packages to appear exactly because of this [FILE]portmaster[/FILE]'s feature.
morbit

Return to Installation and Maintenance of FreeBSD Ports or Packages