Ati driver

X.Org on FreeBSD installation & configuration.

Ati driver

Postby mind33 » 08 Jun 2012, 07:34

Hey,

I`m new to [del]teh[/del] the [del]bsd[/del] *BSD world and just installed [del]Freebsd[/del] FreeBSD. Only thing missing is my video driver. ATI Radeon X1250. How to install?
mind33
Junior Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 08 Jun 2012, 07:30

Postby adamk » 08 Jun 2012, 09:13

If you installed the [port]x11/xorg[/port] meta-port or package, [port]x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati[/port] would have been installed automatically. If you didn't install the meta-package, you can still install [port]x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati[/port] on its own.

Adam
adamk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: 21 Nov 2008, 11:00

Postby mind33 » 08 Jun 2012, 19:01

adamk wrote:If you installed the [port]x11/xorg[/port] meta-port or package, [port]x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati[/port] would have been installed automatically. If you didn't install the meta-package, you can still install [port]x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati[/port] on its own.

Adam


Looks like the driver is installed but I don't have any 3D acceleration.

Code: Select all
$ glxinfo | grep -i render
direct rendering: yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 NO-TCL
mind33
Junior Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 08 Jun 2012, 07:30

Postby adamk » 08 Jun 2012, 19:24

What makes you think you don't have any 3D acceleration? The very output you pasted shows that you do.

Adam
adamk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: 21 Nov 2008, 11:00

Postby swirling_vortex » 26 Jun 2012, 23:15

adamk wrote:What makes you think you don't have any 3D acceleration? The very output you pasted shows that you do.

Adam

It may be because of the Mesa tag. There was a post not too long ago about how to enable proper 3D acceleration with the radeon driver:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=154988&postcount=31
I don't know if this behavior has changed at all with FreeBSD 9. Running [cmd=]kldload radeon[/cmd] may do the trick.
swirling_vortex
Junior Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: 28 Mar 2010, 15:52

Postby adamk » 27 Jun 2012, 00:02

There's no 'trick'. The OP had 3D acceleration enabled.

Adam
adamk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: 21 Nov 2008, 11:00

Postby swirling_vortex » 28 Jun 2012, 14:38

adamk wrote:There's no 'trick'. The OP had 3D acceleration enabled.

Adam

Ah, I forgot that Gallium3D isn't available on FreeBSD. Still, if he is having performance problems, then I still think there's something that's misconfigured. I suspect something in his [FILE]xorg.conf[/FILE] is causing an issue.
swirling_vortex
Junior Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: 28 Mar 2010, 15:52

Postby adamk » 28 Jun 2012, 14:43

Except that we don't know if the OP is having any performance problems and, if so, with what application. doom3, for example, is not going to perform well, and that's to be expected. No amount of tweaking in [file]xorg.conf[/file] is going to change that.

Adam
adamk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: 21 Nov 2008, 11:00

Postby chessmaster » 10 Sep 2013, 16:36

Where can I find the list of support GPU's for the FreeBSD port of [port]x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati[/port]?
User avatar
chessmaster
Junior Member
 
Posts: 57
Joined: 01 Jan 2012, 15:23
Location: Dover,DE

Postby chessmaster » 10 Sep 2013, 16:46

chessmaster wrote:Where can I find the list of support GPU's for the FreeBSD port of [port]x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati[/port]


I got it: https://wiki.freebsd.org/DriDrivers
User avatar
chessmaster
Junior Member
 
Posts: 57
Joined: 01 Jan 2012, 15:23
Location: Dover,DE


Return to X.Org

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests