Change Terminal Text Size

General questions about the FreeBSD operating system. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.

Change Terminal Text Size

Postby TylerGriffiths » 20 Mar 2012, 17:57

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought here would be the most appropriate place.

I wanted to know if there is any way of changing the font size when running FreeBSD without a gui. On my 1440x900 monitor, the text comes up in about 30pt or so, but when I used Gentoo from the install cd the text was much smaller, even though it was commandline too.

Can the font size be made smaller in FreeBSD?
TylerGriffiths

Postby DutchDaemon » 20 Mar 2012, 18:33

TylerGriffiths wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought here would be the most appropriate place.

Well, it certainly wasn't. The first post in that sub-forum: Posting in Howtos & FAQs:

Threads in this sub-forum are for explaining 'how to' do certain things on FreeBSD, not for asking 'how to' do something.

Moved to General.
DutchDaemon
Old Fart

Postby OH » 20 Mar 2012, 19:50

Search for vidcontrol in this forum, you'll find lots of topics
OH

Postby wblock@ » 20 Mar 2012, 20:22

TylerGriffiths wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought here would be the most appropriate place.

I wanted to know if there is any way of changing the font size when running FreeBSD without a gui. On my 1440x900 monitor, the text comes up in about 30pt or so, but when I used Gentoo from the install cd the text was much smaller, even though it was commandline too.

Linux often uses a bitmap console. FreeBSD uses actual text mode. A graphic mode can be used, but it's not particularly versatile. Using X For A High Resolution Console On FreeBSD shows how to use X for an equivalent hires console without a full GUI.

Can the font size be made smaller in FreeBSD?

It's really about increasing the screen resolution, which ends up making the fonts look smaller.
wblock@
Old Fart

Postby freethread » 21 Mar 2012, 08:53

There is a trick to use 8x8 fonts (and perhaps 8x14 too). Also your kernel must be compiled with [FILE]VESA[/FILE] and [FILE]SC_PIXEL_MODE[/FILE] (this should be the default in 9.0-RELEASE), it works on real and virtual machines.

Use [FILE]vidcontrol[/FILE] to change text mode with 8x8 font:
[CMD=">"]vidcontrol 80x50[/CMD]
Then set a graphics hires mode
[CMD=">"]vidcontrol MODE_nnn[/CMD]
where [file]nnn[/file] is one of the graphics mode, to list all available modes:
[CMD=">"]vidcontrol -i mode[/CMD]

Hope it works for you too.
freethread

Return to General