Can't install Firefox 10 from ports

Installing and maintaining the FreeBSD Ports Collection or FreeBSD Packages (i.e. third party software).

Can't install Firefox 10 from ports

Postby a1111exe » 03 Mar 2012, 22:48

Hi all,

I just did as root:

Code: Select all
cd /usr/ports/www/firefox
make install clean

and got this:

/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-release/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd9.0/config/nsinstall -R -m 644 /usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-release/gfx/qcms/qcms.h
 /usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-release/gfx/qcms/qcmstypes.h ../../dist/include
gmake[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-release/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd9.0/gfx/qcms'
gmake -C ipc export
gmake[5]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-release/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd9.0/ipc'
/usr/local/bin/perl5.12.4 /usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-release/build/autoconf/make-makefile -t /usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-release
 -d .. testshell/Makefile
creating ipc/testshell/Makefile
gmake[5]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-release/ipc/app/Makefile.in', needed by `app/Makefile'.  Stop.
gmake[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-release/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd9.0/ipc'
gmake[4]: *** [export_tier_platform] Error 2
gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-release/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd9.0'
gmake[3]: *** [tier_platform] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-release/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd9.0'
gmake[2]: *** [default] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-release/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd9.0'
gmake[1]: *** [realbuild] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-release'
gmake: *** [profiledbuild] Error 2
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/firefox.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/firefox.

It's possible to install it by [FILE]pkg_add -r[/FILE], but this way I somehow only can get a Firefox 9. So I did [FILE]pkg_delete[/FILE] on it and tried to install from ports. With error mentioned above.

My system:

9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3 07:46:30 UTC 2012     root@farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Thanks!
a1111exe

Postby SirDice » 05 Mar 2012, 07:56

Did you turn on any options?

Run [cmd=#]make rmconfig clean[/cmd] and try again.
Senior UNIX Engineer at Unix Support Nederland
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
Old Fart

Postby Beeblebrox » 05 Mar 2012, 08:50

I have had the same problem for about 1 month now. I have tried turning off [FILE]ccache[/FILE], running without [FILE]OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS[/FILE] and setting [FILE]GCCVER 4.2[/FILE] instead of my regular [FILE]gcc46[/FILE]; no luck. I also use [FILE]Seamonkey[/FILE] - that does not build either. Both mozilla port builds break consistently.
11-CURRENT_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS
Beeblebrox

Postby SirDice » 05 Mar 2012, 09:36

Remove any [file]CFLAGS[/file] and related variables from [file]/etc/make.conf[/file].
Senior UNIX Engineer at Unix Support Nederland
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
Old Fart

Postby spoom » 25 Mar 2012, 21:18

I too am having a problem with installing firefox 10. Installation halts when installing "[FILE]gobject-introspection[/FILE]" and "[FILE]cairo[/FILE]"; neither are installed. I would assume that any dependencies would be automatically installed as seems to be the usual procedure.

I just use the Dutchman's "[FILE]portupdater[/FILE]" after manually updating a number of ports which would not update and were listed as dependencies ([FILE]gobject-introspection[/FILE], [FILE]png[/FILE], [FILE]firefox[/FILE], [FILE]php5-gd[/FILE]); [FILE]portupdater[/FILE] indicated the dead dependencies and I removed them. However, some, like [FILE]png[/FILE] and [FILE]php-gd[/FILE] should have remained as they should have been dependencies for [FILE]php5[/FILE] and [FILE]phpMyAdmin[/FILE] would not update. I tried deinstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

And, [FILE]phpMyAdmin[/FILE] (or is it phpmyadmin - I really think it would be consistent to decide whether to use the capitalization or not; this is rather confusing when searching and undermines the clarity and conciseness of FreeBSD in general) was installed earlier; it would not update until I deinstalled and reinstalled. And guess what: it is not installed and I just reinstalled it.

Am I due for the nuthouse or what is going on? Seamonkey is being stubborn - can't install it. Png won't install. I didn't find anything in [FILE]UPDATING[/FILE] or in searching.

I have a nice little machine: Asus Maximus IV with i7-2600K at 4.7ghz, so compiling the ports is really, really quick (the motherboard was just replaced for a defective Marvell driver, unrelated to current problem) but the problems were there before replacement and have not abated.

What can I look for to post in debugging this problem?
spoom

Return to Installation and Maintenance of FreeBSD Ports or Packages