portmaster vs portupgrade

Installing and maintaining the FreeBSD Ports Collection or FreeBSD Packages (i.e. third party software).

portmaster vs portupgrade

Postby achix » 23 Dec 2011, 04:25

I know this has been beaten up to death in various forums/lists, but I'd like to share my experiences after my last upgrade (which led to a brand new shining box). portmaster(8) rocks. It makes things look (and be) much simpler than portupgrade(8). I admit, as day(s) passed by with trying the portupgrade way (without success), the thought of going Debian got into me, as time was running short, and I am afraid that hadn't I tried portmaster, that might be the case. I do not say that even with portmaster things went smooth. In fact I haven't got a single smooth ports upgrade in FreeBSD since 2.7 (circa 1997). Two ports [port]multimedia/x264[/port] and [port]net/kdenetwork4[/port] could pretty much act as show stoppers. Nevertheless, and despite that, the whole experience felt much much more solid, and fast. Speed is also a big advantage of portmaster vs portupgrade. Portmaster rocks.
achix

Postby Beeblebrox » 23 Dec 2011, 07:29

I never used [port]portupgrade[/port], have been using [port]portmaster[/port] since the start. If I remember correctly, [port]portupgrade[/port] needs to create a separate database for internals, while [port]portmaster[/port] does not.

You can speed up [port]portmaster[/port] with the [FILE]-CKB[/FILE] flags. C&K: Don't clean before and after the build. B: Don't do a backup of already installed version. I first delete everything under my [FILE]WORKDIRPREFIX[/FILE], thereby releasing [port]portmaster[/port] from the process of cleaning-up and it can spend the resources on builds. [CMD="#"]portmaster -L | grep New[/CMD] will give a list of all ports to be upgraded. I then upgrade in 2 or 3 separate stages, since usually there are some problematic builds, I don't want [port]portmaster[/port] to stop and re-start.
11-CURRENT_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS
Beeblebrox

Postby dougb@ » 31 Dec 2011, 22:13

Thanks for the kind words. :)
dougb@

Postby ddaley » 31 Dec 2011, 22:55

I'll have to try the CKB flags next time I doing anything with portmaster. portmaster is great, but the port that has been causing grief for me is the [FILE]kdepimlibs4[/FILE]. Why [FILE]kdenetwork[/FILE] and [FILE]kdeadmin[/FILE] ports require [FILE]kdepimlib[/FILE] is beyond me. It would be nice if someone would figure out the minimal libs are required for these other ports, move them out of kdepimlib so that that port isn't so vital...
ddaley

Postby achix » 17 Jan 2012, 09:11

Another successful session with [port]ports-mgmt/portmaster[/port]!! What a great tool! I have never felt happier with FreeBSD (during the last 14 years of using it) than now. An ultra great tool. I was sick with [port]ports-mgmt/portupgrade[/port]. Now I can say FreeBSD's update process can even rock some linuxes.
achix

Return to Installation and Maintenance of FreeBSD Ports or Packages