Ports backup using ZFS

General questions about the FreeBSD operating system. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.

Ports backup using ZFS

Postby kreoso » 15 Dec 2011, 18:32

Hello, I'm new to FreeBSD and enjoyed it very much, but I found that uninstallation of a port is not easy, cause of the dependencies. There is also some ports like [FILE]pkg_cutleaves[/FILE], but you have to know the dependencies anyway.

So, I think it is better to make the relevant directories into ZFS subvolumes and snapshotting before & after the installation of a port, and if something goes wrong or you don't need it anymore, restore it from the snapshot.

My question is, which directories are relevant for this. I believe [FILE]/var[/FILE] and [FILE]/usr[/FILE] except [FILE]/usr/home[/FILE] should be there, but I'm not sure for other directories such as [FILE]/etc[/FILE], [FILE]/bin[/FILE] or [FILE]/sbin[/FILE], etc..

any clues or are there better solution for this job?
kreoso

Postby plamaiziere » 15 Dec 2011, 23:35

kreoso wrote:
My question is, which directories are relevant for this. I believe [FILE]/var[/FILE] and [FILE]/usr[/FILE] except [FILE]/usr/home[/FILE] should be there, but I'm not sure for other directories such as [FILE]/etc[/FILE], [FILE]/bin[/FILE] or [FILE]/sbin[/FILE], etc..

any clues or are there better solution for this job?

Ports are installed in [FILE]/usr/local[/FILE], with the exception of linux binairies going in [FILE]/compat/linux[/FILE] (which is a symlink to [FILE]/usr/compat[/FILE] on 8.X).

The ports database is in [FILE]/var/db/[/FILE].

So with a snapshot of [FILE]/usr[/FILE] and [FILE]/var[/FILE] you should be able to restore. For [FILE]/home[/FILE] you may use a [FILE]/home[/FILE] mountpoint, with zfs that is easy.

Regards
plamaiziere

Postby gkontos » 16 Dec 2011, 00:09

That would be the [FILE]/usr/local[/FILE] directory. This is were all binaries and configuration files are stored during software installation. Some software will create directories under [FILE]/var[/FILE] as well.