Create cast (snapshot) of FreeBSD system.

Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

Create cast (snapshot) of FreeBSD system.

Postby valsorym » 04 Dec 2011, 10:21

Hi all,

Some time ago I used Windows XP and Acronis True Image tool to create the snapshot the WinOS.
All was good! I used two partition ([FILE]C:\[/FILE] and [FILE]D:\[/FILE]) in my Os. On [FILE]D:\ [/FILE]slice I stored personal data, work data and others informations. On [FILE]C:\[/FILE] I installed WinOS and configure it the "ideal", after used Acronis True Image and create snapshot [FILE]C:\[/FILE] slice.
If after this my system broken (virus attack, bad software, curved hands or others) I reinstall my system of my snapshot (of 15-20 minutes).

Now I use FreeBSD 9.0. RC-2 but Acronis True Image do not work of UFS/ZFS file system. And snapshot idea intresting for me.
I partition my HDD to next structure: [FILE]/bot[/FILE], [FILE]/[/FILE], [FILE]SWAP[/FILE], [FILE]/var[/FILE], [FILE]/tmp[/FILE], [FILE]/usr[/FILE], [FILE]/home[/FILE]. Now I have idea:
1. Boot from USB/CD FreeBSD Lite.
2. Mount external HDD.
3. One by one mount sections ([FILE]/[/FILE], [FILE]/var[/FILE], [FILE]/usr[/FILE], [FILE]/home[/FILE]) and create snapshot for it (use [FILE]tar[/FILE] archivers).

And if after this my system be broken, I recreate all slices and retar my snapshot to the desired section. (Slices [FILE]/boot[/FILE], [FILE]SWAP[/FILE], [FILE]/tmp[/FILE] I create hand method).

How you think, It's good method? If not - why not? (and recomend your method, please).
Thank you!

*** P.S. snapshot will be made to the same computer. (sorry for my English) - for different computers different snapshots.
valsorym

Postby wblock@ » 04 Dec 2011, 10:35

The idea is fine, but tar is not a good tool for that. [pman=8]rsync[/pman] is better, and there is software that uses it like [port]sysutils/rsnapshot[/port]. There are also native snapshot facilities in UFS ([man=8]mksnap_ffs[/man]) and [man=1M]zfs[/man].

And of course, there's [man=8]dump[/man] and [man=8]restore[/man]: Backup Options For FreeBSD
wblock@
Old Fart

Postby valsorym » 04 Dec 2011, 12:48

Thank you wblock@.

"Backup Options For FreeBSD" very good and clear article. Thanks.
valsorym

Return to Installing & Upgrading