say goodbye to /bin, /usr/local/* , ...

Have some non-FreeBSD related questions, or want just to chit-chat about anything that is not related to FreeBSD? This is the forum for you.

say goodbye to /bin, /usr/local/* , ...

Postby Crivens » 08 Nov 2011, 15:55

Just found this great idea to simplify the system. So let's say goodbye to the idea of [FILE]/usr/local[/FILE] and provide the port maintainers with loads of aspirin in coming updates. Judging from the 'progress' provided by [FILE]udev[/FILE], a good structured system layout will most probably go the way of the dodo - if this goes through.
Optimists believe we live in the best world possible. Pessimists agree to this.

Two little lights, blinking out in a sky full of stars - we will never forget you. I miss you so much
Crivens

Postby Alt » 08 Nov 2011, 16:03

L*x guys started to think about hier(7) ? xDDD
Alt

Postby SirDice » 08 Nov 2011, 16:09

Crivens wrote:Just found this great idea to simplify the system.

I thought they already simplified it? Just drop your stuff anywhere you like x(
Senior UNIX Engineer at Unix Support Nederland
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
Old Fart

Postby Crivens » 08 Nov 2011, 16:24

Just remembered that there was some trouble with systemd, done by HeWhoShallNotBeNamed. You get a warning when you run a seperate [FILE]/usr[/FILE] file system and "things may break, sometimes silently".
This is going to be fun! Where is my popcorn?

Two little lights, blinking out in a sky full of stars - we will never forget you. I miss you so much
Crivens

Postby Alt » 08 Nov 2011, 16:39

+1.
Beware, putting your stuff in [FILE]/usr[/FILE] can lead to this https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee/commit/a047be85247755cdbe0acce6#diff-1
Alt

Postby gkontos » 08 Nov 2011, 17:01

[FILE]/usr/local[/FILE] is one of the reasons why I use FreeBSD.
I wish that we could also have a [FILE]/var/local[/FILE] as well...
Powered by BareBSD
gkontos

Postby freethread » 08 Nov 2011, 17:11

Alt wrote:+1.
Beware, putting your stuff in /usr can lead to this https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee/commit/a047be85247755cdbe0acce6#diff-1

lol

^^^^^ c'mon, he fixed it! :)
freethread

Postby bbzz » 08 Nov 2011, 17:55

Alt wrote:+1.
Beware, putting your stuff in /usr can lead to this https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee/commit/a047be85247755cdbe0acce6#diff-1

Thank you, thank you so much for bringing this up, I'll be LOL-ing this whole week... :e
bbzz

Postby Carpetsmoker » 08 Nov 2011, 22:24

Crivens wrote:Just found this great idea to simplify the system. So let's say goodbye to the idea of [FILE]/usr/local[/FILE] and provide the port maintainers with loads of aspirin in coming updates. Judging from the 'progress' provided by [FILE]udev[/FILE], a good structured system layout will most probably go the way of the dodo - if this goes through.

Actually, this is not such a bad idea IMHO.

Even on FreeBSD, there is no real difference between [FILE]/usr/bin[/FILE] and [FILE]/bin[/FILE]; the reasons for the separate directories are mostly historical and no longer valid in 2011. Merging them would be a bit like the [FILE]/usr/X11R6/[/FILE] merge with [FILE]/usr/local/[/FILE] back in FreeBSD 6 (or 5?).

Linux (and thus Fedora) doesn't have a separate [FILE]/usr/local[/FILE] anyway, like it or not, this is how Linux works. And mounting a separate [FILE]/usr/[/FILE] isn't supported on Linux anymore, so why *not* merge these directories?
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.
Carpetsmoker

Postby gkontos » 08 Nov 2011, 22:39

Carpetsmoker wrote:Actually, this is not such a bad idea IMHO.

Even on FreeBSD, there is no real difference between [FILE]/usr/bin[/FILE] and [FILE]/bin[/FILE]; the reasons for the separate directories are mostly historical and no longer valid in 2011. Merging them would be a bit like the [FILE]/usr/X11R6/[/FILE] merge with [FILE]/usr/local/[/FILE] back in FreeBSD 6 (or 5?).

Linux (and thus Fedora) doesn't have a separate [FILE]/usr/local[/FILE] anyway, like it or not, this is how Linux works. And mounting a separate [FILE]/usr/[/FILE] isn't supported on Linux anymore, so why *not* merge these directories?

The main reason is that you can separate OS binaries and settings from software binaries and settings. That way you can easily install/upgrade software without affecting the OS. You can also backup your system more effectively. If we also take into account ZFS snapshots and their rollback ability, we can easily see the benefits of that separation.
Powered by BareBSD
gkontos

Postby Carpetsmoker » 09 Nov 2011, 02:13

gkontos wrote:The main reason is that you can separate OS binaries and settings from software binaries and settings. That way you can easily install/upgrade software without affecting the OS. You can also backup your system more effectively. If we also take into account ZFS snapshots and their rollback ability, we can easily see the benefits of that separation.

This doesn't apply since we are talking about Linux which doesn't make that distinction.
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.
Carpetsmoker

Postby anomie » 09 Nov 2011, 02:54

I can't decide whether this is a great idea or not, but I do think their FAQ brings up reasonable points.

In theory, this will bring some simplicity and tidiness to what is currently a bats%^# crazy mess on Fedora (or, I should say, on many recent GNU/Linux distros).
"Do Not Engage in Useless Activity" --Miyamoto Musashi
anomie

Postby Crivens » 09 Nov 2011, 09:23

Carpetsmoker wrote:This doesn't apply since we are talking about Linux which doesn't make that distinction.

Yes, but what bugs me is that sooner or later this will be shoved down our throats, no matter if we want it or not. Of course there is no big reason to keep [FILE]/bin[/FILE] and [FILE]/usr/bin[/FILE] separate, but when you throw anything into [FILE]/usr/bin[/FILE] anyway you will end up with a great mess.

Also, one of the positive points claimed is that you now can mount [FILE]/usr[/FILE] read-only, but [FILE]systemd[/FILE] does not like it if it is a separate partition. That's where the fun will come in.

Crivens

Postby gkontos » 09 Nov 2011, 09:51

Carpetsmoker wrote:This doesn't apply since we are talking about Linux which doesn't make that distinction.

I was just expressing my views about merging this philosophy in FreeBSD.

Cheers!

George