Where do we stand with Wayland.

Have some non-FreeBSD related questions, or want just to chit-chat about anything that is not related to FreeBSD? This is the forum for you.

Where do we stand with Wayland.

Postby fossala » 16 Aug 2011, 12:45

I am under the assumption that Wayland is linked to the kernel (Linux). Where would we stand in a Linux central UNIX world? KDE is being ported to Wayland and I assume more and more "Desktop Environments" will be. Will this leave *BSD users without a desktop enviroment or is there plans on implementing Wayland with the FreeBSD kernel?
fossala

Postby SirDice » 16 Aug 2011, 12:55

I am under the assumption that Wayland is linked to the kernel (Linux).

Not exactly. Wayland will use a few specific things that are only available with a linux kernel (udev for instance).
KDE is being ported to Wayland and I assume more and more "Desktop Environments" will be.

Nothing is being 'ported' to wayland. KDE will be compatible to run on wayland, nothing more.

Will this leave *BSD users without a desktop enviroment or is there plans on implementing Wayland with the FreeBSD kernel?

Xorg is still around and won't be gone anytime soon. And as far as I know there are no plans on porting Wayland to FreeBSD.
Senior UNIX Engineer at Unix Support Nederland
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
Old Fart

Postby fossala » 16 Aug 2011, 13:03

Thanks for clearing things up a little bit.
fossala

Return to Off-Topic