How can I Identify My Computer's Hardware?

This forum discusses issues related to running FreeBSD on notebooks, laptops, and other mobile equipment.

How can I Identify My Computer's Hardware?

Postby JoshuaBranson » 17 Jul 2011, 17:08

On step 2.3.1 of the FreeBSD handbook (Inventory Your Computer), it says one should find out what their computer's hardware is so they can:

1) make sure that FreeBSD supports their hardware
2) make sure FreeBSD gives you the right configuration for your hardware during install

My problem is I had no idea how to figure out what my hardware is. My computer currently has no operating system on it (I'm writing this using a Ubuntu live cd). My question is, using the Ubuntu live cd how can I figure out what my computer's hardware is? P.S. My computer's a MBP 7,1.

Thanks a ton!
JoshuaBranson

Postby matoatlantis » 17 Jul 2011, 17:18

Well on linux you can use lspci. Other one is dmidecode. You can also check [FILE]/var/log/dmesg[/FILE] or [FILE]/var/log/messages[/FILE].

Once you are on FreeBSD, you can use pciconf, e.g.

[CMD="#"]pciconf -lv[/CMD]

Or previously mentioned [FILE]dmidecode[/FILE] (need to be installed from ports/packages).

EDIT: I had to google what "MBP 7,1" stands for. If that's MacBook you can actually find a good description of the product on their web too. It all depends what you are looking for.
[color="Gray"]..when you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all..[/color]
matoatlantis

Postby pkubaj » 17 Jul 2011, 18:14

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro#Technical_specifications_2
I can already tell you that Intel HD GPU is not supported (I have one in my notebook). NVIDIA, however, provides great support for FreeBSD. As for the network card, you should find out if that AirPort thing is supported.
pkubaj

Postby andyzammy » 18 Jul 2011, 01:23

via the livecd you can also run "sudo lshw". best piped to a file or at least less.
andyzammy

Return to Mobile Computing