BSD licensed C, C++ and Fortran compiler released.

Have some non-FreeBSD related questions, or want just to chit-chat about anything that is not related to FreeBSD? This is the forum for you.

BSD licensed C, C++ and Fortran compiler released.

Postby da1 » 14 Jun 2011, 14:26

Taken from the other forum , thx BSDfan666 :)

PathScale announced today that the EKOPath 4 Compiler Suite is now available as an open source project and free download for Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris. This release includes documentation and the complete development stack, including compiler, debugger, assembler, runtimes and standard libraries. EKOPath is the product of years of ongoing development, representing one of the industries highest performance Intel 64 and AMD C, C++ and Fortran compilers.

http://www.pathscale.com/ekopath4-open-source-announcement
da1

Postby SirDice » 14 Jun 2011, 14:47

As far as I've been able to tell only parts of it have a permissive license. Mainly a few run-time libraries and the debugger. Can't find any licensing info about the rest.
Senior UNIX Engineer at Unix Support Nederland
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
Old Fart

Postby B0o-supermario » 14 Jun 2011, 19:18

So when will you guys throw [FILE]gcc[/FILE] and replace it with something better? ;)
B0o-supermario

Postby da1 » 14 Jun 2011, 19:28

9.0 has LLVM/Clang (for the world/kernel)
da1

Postby xibo » 14 Jun 2011, 19:34

When something "better" can build the ports. Right now [FILE]clang[/FILE] is in HEAD and [FILE]pcc[/FILE] in ports, both more "C compiler" than [FILE]gcc[/FILE], but you won't be able to build the majority of the ports with either of them.

Also, there's no point to drop [FILE]gcc[/FILE] as [FILE]gcc[/FILE] can't be built by anything other then gcc[FILE],[/FILE] so once [FILE]gcc[/FILE] is out of base you won't be able to build it via ports...

Nevertheless this is promising. Especially the fact they're doing the non-direct compiler tools, too.
xibo

Postby knk » 14 Jun 2011, 22:20

SirDice wrote:As far as I've been able to tell only parts of it have a permissive license. Mainly a few run-time libraries and the debugger. Can't find any licensing info about the rest.

Had trouble finding that, too. The [FILE]COPYING[/FILE] file in the compiler soure states:

All files in this source package marked as (C) PathScale, (C) Cray or (C) STMicroelectronics are licensed to you under the terms of version 3 of the GPL [...]

The debugger doesn't have a LICENSE ore COPYING file, though.

Oh, and the source code can be found here: https://github.com/path64 (and, for what it's worth, the compiler builds fine and produces running binaries under FreeBSD).
knk

Postby B0o-supermario » 15 Jun 2011, 03:21

@knk: Do you mean it isn't BSD licensed?
IMHO apple won't change clang to GPL :)
B0o-supermario

Postby aragon » 15 Jun 2011, 04:33

From what I've gathered, the compiler is GPLv3, but the debugger and certain libraries are BSD licensed. Not very useful for the FreeBSD project, but a welcome addition to ports I'm sure. :)
aragon
Giant Locked

Postby vertexSymphony » 15 Jun 2011, 07:47

aragon wrote:From what I've gathered, the compiler is GPLv3, but the debugger and certain libraries are BSD licensed. Not very useful for the FreeBSD project, but a welcome addition to ports I'm sure. :)

[FILE]libcxxrt[/FILE] is the library you're talking about: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=24015
[FILE]PathDB[/FILE] is the debugger you're talking about (CDDL'ed): https://github.com/path64/debugger
And yes, the compiler seems GPLv3: https://github.com/path64/compiler/blob/master/COPYING

Alex.
vertexSymphony

Postby Crivens » 15 Jun 2011, 12:22

xibo wrote:Also, there's no point to drop [FILE]gcc[/FILE] as [FILE]gcc[/FILE] can't be built by anything other then gcc[FILE],[/FILE] so once [FILE]gcc[/FILE] is out of base you won't be able to build it via ports...

I did not check that for some time. If it is true these days, this is imho a great opportunity to ask for a facepalming "WTF?" smily.
Optimists believe we live in the best world possible. Pessimists agree to this.

Two little lights, blinking out in a sky full of stars - we will never forget you. I miss you so much
Crivens

Postby LoZio » 18 Jun 2011, 10:28

knk wrote: (and, for what it's worth, the compiler builds fine and produces running binaries under FreeBSD).

Hi,

I'm writing a how-to to build [FILE]ekopath[/FILE]. I can start the big build process with the steps I described here (http://www.gorlani.com/portal/Home/Articles/BuildingekopathonFreeBSD.aspx) but I stop at:
Code: Select all
[ 33%] Generating pscrt-static-x86_64/memcpy_em64t_c.o

### Assertion failure at line 812 of /tmp/compiler/src/be/../common/util/id_map.h:
### Compiler Error in file /tmp/compiler/src/libpscrt/memcpy_em64t.c during Global Optimization -- Create AUX Symbol table phase:
### ID_MAP::Insert: displaced item not found in hash table.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /tmp/build.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /tmp/build.
*** Error code 1

Any ideas?
Thanks

Update: the only help from IRC channel is here:
(12.53.20) LoZio: Well, I read the readme and started build, but it stop here: ### Assertion failure at line 812 of
 /tmp/compiler/src/be/../common/util/id_map.h:
(12.53.20) LoZio: ### Compiler Error in file /tmp/compiler/src/libpscrt/memcpy_em64t.c during Global Optimization -- Create AUX Symbol table
 phase:
(12.53.20) LoZio: ### ID_MAP::Insert: displaced item not found in hash table.
(12.53.20) LoZio: *** Error code 1
(12.53.39) LoZio: this may be not FreeBSD specific
(12.53.54) codestr0m: LoZio: ERRORPISSEDOFFATFBSDTRYAGAINANOTHERDAY

Just before being banned from the channel. I think they should work a bit on their community support.
LoZio

Postby expl » 18 Jun 2011, 11:45

B0o-supermario wrote:So when will you guys throw [FILE]gcc[/FILE] and replace it with something better? ;)

When people stop writing GCC optimized/specific code for their third-party software. And that's not going to happen any time soon as most open source developers are Linux users/fans.
expl

Postby knk » 20 Jun 2011, 20:27

LoZio wrote:Hi,

I'm writing a how-to to build [FILE]ekopath[/FILE]. I can start the big build process with the steps I described here (http://www.gorlani.com/portal/Home/Articles/BuildingekopathonFreeBSD.aspx) but I stop at:
[ 33%] Generating pscrt-static-x86_64/memcpy_em64t_c.o

### Assertion failure at line 812 of /tmp/compiler/src/be/../common/util/id_map.h:
### Compiler Error in file /tmp/compiler/src/libpscrt/memcpy_em64t.c during Global Optimization -- Create AUX Symbol table phase:
*** Error code 1

Stop in /tmp/build.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /tmp/build.
*** Error code 1

Any ideas?
Thanks

Didn't get that error. If it helps, I build from [FILE]bcb4f5366a5414b12f74fc136cf43e74c1162b10[/FILE] and ran [FILE]cmake[/FILE] like this:
#!/bin/sh

GCCP=/usr/lib

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug \
         -DPATH64_ENABLE_TARGETS="x86_64" \
         -DPATH64_ENABLE_MATHLIBS=ON \
         -DPATH64_ENABLE_FORTRAN=OFF \
         -DPSC_CRT_PATH_x86_64=/usr/lib \
         -DPSC_DYNAMIC_LINKER_x86_64=/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 \
         -DPSC_LIBSUPCPP_PATH_x86_64=$GCCP \
         -DPSC_LIBSTDCPP_PATH_x86_64=$GCCP \
         -DPSC_LIBGCC_PATH_x86_64=$GCCP \
         -DPSC_LIBGCC_EH_PATH_x86_64=$GCCP \
         -DPSC_LIBGCC_S_PATH_x86_64=$GCCP \
         ../compiler
knk

Postby LoZio » 21 Jun 2011, 19:33

knk wrote:Didn't get that error. If it helps, I build from [FILE]bcb4f5366a5414b12f74fc136cf43e74c1162b10[/FILE] and ran [FILE]cmake[/FILE] like this:
#!/bin/sh

GCCP=/usr/lib

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug \
         -DPATH64_ENABLE_TARGETS="x86_64" \
         -DPSC_CRT_PATH_x86_64=/usr/lib \
         -DPSC_LIBSUPCPP_PATH_x86_64=$GCCP \
         -DPSC_LIBSTDCPP_PATH_x86_64=$GCCP \
         -DPSC_LIBGCC_PATH_x86_64=$GCCP \
         -DPSC_LIBGCC_EH_PATH_x86_64=$GCCP \
         -DPSC_LIBGCC_S_PATH_x86_64=$GCCP \
         ../compiler

Ok, I also was successful in preparing the [FILE]make[/FILE] process also with my parameters. The problem is during the make process. Testing your command line, I can note you used Debug instead of Release. Using your command line the [FILE]make[/FILE] process stops here:

[ 52%] Building CXX object src/be/be/CMakeFiles/be-exec-x8664.dir/__/com/phase.cxx.o
make: don't know how to make /usr/local/lib/libdwarf.a. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop in /tmp/build.
*** Error code 1

Using the git code downloaded 5 minutes ago:
commit c73993b29dac4d4f641ed09f0596679de49d509c
Author: Roman Divacky <rdivacky@freebsd.org>
Date:   Tue Jun 21 10:21:34 2011 +0200

Using stock 8.2 compiler, gcc 4.2.1.

--Edit
Just tried my "recipe" and using "Release". It crashes with the same error, but at 18%:

[ 18%] Building CXX object src/be/be/CMakeFiles/be-exec-x8664.dir/__/com/phase.cxx.o
make: don't know how to make /usr/local/lib/libdwarf.a. Stop
*** Error code 2

-- Edit (again :))
7 minutes after posting this I googled to find infos about my stop error. I found this page as the first result. Just 7 minutes later. Am I the only one to find this amazing?
LoZio

Postby cforger » 22 Jun 2011, 02:03

Hi,

Using [CMD=" "]pkg_add -r libdwarf[/CMD] will get you past that error at 18%, I'm now stuck at 28% where you were stuck at 33% before:

[ 28%] Generating pscrt-static-x86_64/memcpy_em64t_c.o

### Assertion failure at line 812 of /root/work/path64/src/be/../common/util/id_map.h:
### Compiler Error in file /root/work/path64/src/libpscrt/memcpy_em64t.c during Global Optimization -- Create AUX Symbol table phase:
*** Error code 1

I checked this link https://github.com/path64/compiler/issues/6 , and it says we can't build a release with GCC, just a debug.

I'm using the gorlani.com make line, with Debug instead of Release for the make build type. It's compiling now, we'll see where I end up tomorrow when I check.
cforger

Postby LoZio » 22 Jun 2011, 06:43

cforger wrote:Using [CMD=" "]pkg_add -r libdwarf[/CMD] will get you past that error at 18%, I'm now stuck at 28% where you were stuck at 33% before:

[ 28%] Generating pscrt-static-x86_64/memcpy_em64t_c.o

### Assertion failure at line 812 of /root/work/path64/src/be/../common/util/id_map.h:
### Compiler Error in file /root/work/path64/src/libpscrt/memcpy_em64t.c during Global Optimization -- Create AUX Symbol table phase:
*** Error code 1

I checked this link https://github.com/path64/compiler/issues/6 , and it says we can't build a release with GCC, just a debug.

I'm using the gorlani.com make line, with Debug instead of Release for the make build type. It's compiling now, we'll see where I end up tomorrow when I check.

It goes further, but not to the end.

[ 30%] Generating ../../lib/x8664/64/libmv.so
/usr/bin/ld: /use/lib/crti.o: No such file: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

It seems I'm missing a motion detection library from Google. I got it from https://github.com/libmv/libmv but it does not build.
LoZio

Postby cforger » 22 Jun 2011, 17:17

I managed to get to 38% before it crashed asking about the Fortran compiler. I didn't run into your errors.

[ 38%] Generating pathfortran-static-x86_64/__/libfi/mathlb/ieee_exceptions_F90.o, pathfortran-static-x86_64/IEEE_EXCEPTIONS.mod
gcc: /root/work/path64/src/libpathfortran/../libfi/mathlb/ieee_exceptions.F90: Fortran compiler not installed on this system
*** Error code 1

I believe that's a [FILE]make[/FILE] switch option, I'll set it and try again.

I'm running 9-CURRENT, built from 2011.05.28.15.00.00 on the [FILE]csup[/FILE] [FILE]src[/FILE] file.
cforger

Postby cforger » 22 Jun 2011, 17:25

Yup, that worked, I made it to 100%. I now have a shiny new compiler to play with on FreeBSD-9. Here's my [FILE]cmake[/FILE] command that worked for me;

[CMD=" "]set MYLIBPATH=/usr/lib[/CMD]

cmake ~/work/path64 \
-DPATH64_ENABLE_TARGETS=x86_64 \
-DPATH64_ENABLE_HUGEPAGES=OFF \
-DPSC_CRT_PATH_x86_64=$MYLIBPATH \
-DPSC_LIBSUPCPP_PATH_x86_64=$MYLIBPATH \
-DPSC_LIBSTDCPP_PATH_x86_64=$MYLIBPATH \
-DPSC_LIBGCC_PATH_x86_64=$MYLIBPATH \
-DPSC_LIBGCC_EH_PATH_x86_64=$MYLIBPATH \
-DPSC_LIBGCC_S_PATH_x86_64=$MYLIBPATH \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug

Of course, it could refuse to compile even a 'hello world' program, we'll see as I start to test it. :-)
cforger

Postby cforger » 22 Jun 2011, 21:02

Update:

I have it compiling a basic "Hello World" program, and I'm even compiling a few of the smaller ports (TinyDNS for one) using [FILE]pathcc[/FILE].

I notice that if I execute [FILE]pathCC --help[/FILE] (the c++ version) I receive
Bus error (core dumped)
error message about halfway through the help output dump. Probably not a good thing, but maybe it's just a silly error. I'm able to compile simple programs with [FILE]pathCC[/FILE] or [FILE]pathcc[/FILE].

I also notice that any port that uses [FILE]configure[/FILE] doesn't like [FILE]pathcc[/FILE] - It fails the c preprocessor tests.

checking for /opt/path64/bin/pathcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking dependency style of /opt/path64/bin/pathcc... gcc3
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /opt/path64/bin/pathCC
configure: error: C preprocessor "/opt/path64/bin/pathCC" fails sanity check
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please report the problem to vd@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach the
"/usr/ports/net-mgmt/iftop/work/iftop-0.17/config.log" including the output
of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good idea to provide
an overview of all packages installed on your system (e.g. an `ls
/var/db/pkg`).
*** Error code 1

The way I get around this is;
- set [FILE]/etc/make.conf[/FILE] back to the defaults (use [FILE]gcc[/FILE])
- run [FILE]make configure[/FILE] in the port to generate all the configure data
- set [FILE]/etc/make.conf[/FILE] to the [FILE]pathcc[/FILE] files
- [FILE]make install[/FILE]

Worked for [FILE]iftop[/FILE], and it runs. I'm going to keep playing with some of the ports and see how this works. I'm interested in [FILE]samba35[/FILE], as I've seen increased performance with [FILE]gcc46[/FILE] and [FILE]-O3[/FILE] optimization on my file servers, so there could be room for [FILE]pathcc[/FILE] to help as well.

Kernel:

Being aggressively optimistic, I went for a [FILE]buildkernel[/FILE] - And it's as messy as you'd expect. I know I won't receive help on it here, but others will want to try this, so I'm passing on what I'm finding.

One option that is helpful for using [FILE]pathcc[/FILE] as a drop-in for [FILE]gcc[/FILE] is [FILE]-woffoptions[/FILE], the rest is manually ripped out of the [FILE]kern.mk[/FILE] files, to see how far I can push this to compile.

Where a [FILE]buildworld[/FILE] dies today is:

### Assertion failure at line 521 of /test/path64/src/be/cg/tnutil.cxx:
### Compiler Error in file /usr/src/sys/fs/nfsclient/nfs_clbio.c during Code_Expansion phase:
### don't know how to make dedicated TN for class (null)
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/sankernel2.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

I see complaints about this on the Open64 compiler threads as well.

We'll see how much time I have tomorrow to test this further.
cforger

Postby LoZio » 23 Jun 2011, 06:52

cforger wrote:Yup, that worked, I made it to 100%. I now have a shiny new compiler to play with on FreeBSD-9. Here's my [FILE]cmake[/FILE] command that worked for me;

[CMD=" "]set MYLIBPATH=/usr/lib[/CMD]

cmake ~/work/path64 \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug

Of course, it could refuse to compile even a 'hello world' program, we'll see as I start to test it. :-)

The only difference is that you set no fortran support, I'm trying with the same settings.
The last git code says:

commit 80b1b74250fd219b87ae74809172ca6b8f8363f5
Author: Alexander Esilevich <aesilevich@pathscale.com>
Date:   Wed Jun 22 18:02:30 2011 +0700

added cmake option for path to libdwarf

that is installed in [FILE]/usr/lib[/FILE] by default, and I put the line on my [FILE]cmake[/FILE]. Not setting it will stop build at 13%. Setting the path it stop just at 52%:

[ 52%] Building CXX object src/be/be/CMakeFiles/be-exec-x8664.dir/iter.cxx.o
[ 52%] Building CXX object src/be/be/CMakeFiles/be-exec-x8664.dir/__/com/phase.cxx.o
Linking CXX executable ../../../lib/x8664/be
/usr/lib/libdwarf.so: undefined reference to `elf_strptr'
/usr/lib/libdwarf.so: undefined reference to `elf_getident'

I uninstalled the port version of [FILE]libdwarf[/FILE] that is very old and compiled [FILE]libdwarf-20110612[/FILE] (that also is not easy). It reduces the number of errors in this phase, but the two above remain. I also installed LibElf with no luck.

It's becoming very very tricky.
LoZio

Postby cforger » 23 Jun 2011, 11:11

Hmm, it sounds like you should start with a fresh 8.2.

Or better yet, try going up to a fresh install of 9-CURRENT - This is all pretty "testy-feely" anyway, and by the time you have something with Path64 stable enough to be using, 9 will be out anyway, so you may as well get a head-start on it. I'm finding my copies of 9 to be quite stable.

I managed to build both [FILE]istgt[/FILE] and [FILE]samba35[/FILE] with [FILE]path64[/FILE] last night, I'm setting up an environment for some small speed tests to see if there is a difference with [FILE]path64[/FILE] compiling these over [FILE]gcc42[/FILE] or [FILE]gcc46[/FILE].
cforger

Postby LoZio » 24 Jun 2011, 06:27

cforger wrote:Hmm, it sounds like you should start with a fresh 8.2.

Or better yet, try going up to a fresh install of 9-CURRENT - This is all pretty "testy-feely" anyway, and by the time you have something with Path64 stable enough to be using, 9 will be out anyway, so you may as well get a head-start on it. I'm finding my copies of 9 to be quite stable.

I managed to build both [FILE]istgt[/FILE] and [FILE]samba35[/FILE] with [FILE]path64[/FILE] last night, I'm setting up an environment for some small speed tests to see if there is a difference with [FILE]path64[/FILE] compiling these over [FILE]gcc42[/FILE] or [FILE]gcc46[/FILE].

I'm starting each time from a fresh/patched 8.2 x64 install, so messy installation is not likely. The (not so) strange thing is that every [FILE]git[/FILE] commit results in different errors, having now "stabilized" the [FILE]cmake[/FILE] string. I'll try with today's [FILE]git[/FILE] and report.
Bye.
LoZio

Postby Yamagi » 25 Jun 2011, 10:47

Try the last "stable" version 4.0.10, tagged at june 08, 2011:
git clone https://github.com/path64/compiler.git
cd compiler/
git checkout 4.0.10

This one builds for me with the [FILE]cmake[/FILE] string from cforger. After this first stage [FILE]pathcc[/FILE] can compile itself into a "Release" configuration:
setenv CC pathcc
setenv CXX pathCC

cmake ../compiler \
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/opt/pathscale \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release   

I've uploaded the resulting binaries to: http://deponie.yamagi.org/freebsd/ekopath/ekopath_4.0.10_freebsd_8.2_amd64.tar.xz Extract in [FILE]/usr/opt[/FILE] and add [FILE]/usr/opt/pathscale/bin[/FILE] to your [FILE]$PATH[/FILE].
Yamagi

Postby LoZio » 26 Jun 2011, 12:44

Thanks Yamagi for pointing out to checkout 4.0.10. I was able to build [FILE]ekopath[/FILE] in debug and release (after an initial problem...).

I updated the how-to with the final procedure (and credits :)) on http://www.gorlani.com/portal/Home/Articles/BuildingekopathonFreeBSD.aspx. Now I'm going to build some programs I use and compare results. I'll post them when done. Thanks again to all people on the thread.
LoZio

Postby LoZio » 26 Jun 2011, 15:14

Yamagi wrote:I've uploaded the resulting binaries to: http://deponie.yamagi.org/freebsd/ekopath/ekopath_4.0.10_freebsd_8.2_amd64.tar.xz Extract in [FILE]/usr/opt[/FILE] and add [FILE]/usr/opt/pathscale/bin[/FILE] to your [FILE]$PATH[/FILE].

I built my own release, and also tried yours, but it seems to have problems with ipa optimizations. If I compile with [FILE]-Ofast[/FILE] or [FILE]-ipa[/FILE] alone (also setting [FILE]LDFLAGS[/FILE]), I get
/usr/opt/pathscale/lib/4.0.10/x8664/ipa_link: cannot open linker script file ldscripts/elf_x86_64_fbsd.xsc: No such file or directory

Are you able to use ipa?
LoZio

Next

Return to Off-Topic