mbmon daemon port

Installing and maintaining the FreeBSD Ports Collection or FreeBSD Packages (i.e. third party software).

mbmon daemon port

Postby pcbsd64 » 02 Apr 2011, 16:37

I am trying to read my cpu temp with gkrellm using mbmon, which requires me to run [cmd=]mbmon -r -P <port#>[/cmd] I can start [FILE]mbmon[/FILE] by adding
Code: Select all
mbmon_enable="YES"
to my [FILE]rc.conf[/FILE], but this doesn't ouput mbmon's readings to a port for gkrellm to read. I could use a crontab file, but it doesn't seem proper to run mbmon at an interval.

I found this somewhat confusing mailing list message, that doesn't say where to run the script from. Do I name the script [file]mbmon[/file] and add it to [FILE]/etc/rc.d[/FILE]?
User avatar
pcbsd64
Junior Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 11 Mar 2011, 21:51
Location: Columbia River Gorge

Postby francis » 03 Apr 2011, 15:38

Hi, if you want to create that script, maybe try to do this in that way? You can create in the [file]/usr/local/etc/rc.d/[/file] directory a [file].sh[/file] script, put that command which you are using, I mean [CMD="$"]mbmon -r -P port#[/CMD] and make this shell script executable by using [CMD="#"]chmod +x your_script_name.sh[/CMD].
Then put in the [file]/etc/rc.conf[/file] file
Code: Select all
your.script.name_enable="YES"


However, if this script must be placed in the [file]/etc/rc.d/[/file] directory, look here; Practical rc.d scripting in BSD
By the way. In the [file]gkrellm[/file] manual pages for Linux is written something like
gkrellm(1) - Linux man page wrote:If the mbmon daemon is used, it must be started before gkrellm like so:

mbmon -r -P port-number

where the given "port-number" must be configured to match in the gkrellm Sensors->Options config.


I hope that it will help You in some way. Good luck.
[color="DarkSlateGray"]Obscurity as the foundation of Security =[/color] [color="DarkRed"]Bad[/color]
[color="SlateGray"]Obscurity in addition to Security =[/color] [color="DarkGreen"]Good[/color]
User avatar
francis
Junior Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: 23 Nov 2010, 14:45

Postby pcbsd64 » 03 Apr 2011, 17:35

Thankk you, francis. I'll try that. I didn't realize the use of rc.d and rc.conf were so flexible.

francis wrote:By the way. In the [file]gkrellm[/file] manual pages for Linux is written something like
Originally Posted by gkrellm(1) - Linux man page
If the mbmon daemon is used, it must be started before gkrellm like so:

mbmon -r -P port-number

where the given "port-number" must be configured to match in the gkrellm Sensors->Options config.



mbmon -r -P <port#>


When I used the hash symbol "#", I was meaning a number. It is probably a depreciated usage now , but "#" used to be called the number sign, then later it became the pound sign, because it is located above the "3" on a keyboard. UK keyboards have "£" for pound sterling located there.

Hash is probably the most accurate usage . I'm glad we finally got around to it.
User avatar
pcbsd64
Junior Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 11 Mar 2011, 21:51
Location: Columbia River Gorge

Postby wblock@ » 03 Apr 2011, 17:50

pcbsd64 wrote:When I used the hash symbol "#", I was meaning a number. It is probably a depreciated usage now , but "#" used to be called the number sign, then later it became the pound sign, because it is located above the "3" on a keyboard. UK keyboards have "£" for pound sterling located there.

Hash is probably the most accurate usage . I'm glad we finally got around to it.


It's a regional thing. Personally, I like the sound of "octothorpe".
User avatar
wblock@
Old Fart
 
Posts: 10199
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 23:23
Location: Milky Way galaxy


Return to Installation and Maintenance of FreeBSD Ports or Packages

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests