Howto install .deb file or rpm file Spotify

Installing and maintaining the FreeBSD Ports Collection or FreeBSD Packages (i.e. third party software).

Howto install .deb file or rpm file Spotify

Postby rexpretor » 01 Apr 2011, 08:04

Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone knows how to install spotify by using a .deb-file or rpm-file.

I have found a link to the spotify linux site http://www.spotify.com/no/download/previews/

Best regards,
Tommy
rexpretor

Postby DemoDoG » 01 Apr 2011, 14:32

I installed this on Archlinux and it worked great. Would love if it could be ported to FreeBSD, but it seems like the source itself hasn't been released? Never got [FILE]depotify[/FILE] to work on FreeBSD either :-(
DemoDoG

Postby francis » 02 Apr 2011, 10:26

Hi, I never had reason to install Linux applications e.g from [file].rpm[/file] format, but it looks that it is possible. Look here; Installing Linux Programs (RPMs), Installing RPMs on FreeBSD and of course Linux Binary Compatibility (especially 10.2.3 Installing a Random Linux RPM Based Application).

Generally you will need: install e.g. [port]archivers/rpm[/port] (there is also [port]archivers/rpm4[/port] and [port]archivers/rpm5[/port] - read about the differences between these versions!), setting up Linux compatibility (see link above), Spotify - of course, and... hope you will succeed. :- )
[color="DarkSlateGray"]Obscurity as the foundation of Security =[/color] [color="DarkRed"]Bad[/color]
[color="SlateGray"]Obscurity in addition to Security =[/color] [color="DarkGreen"]Good[/color]
francis

Return to Installation and Maintenance of FreeBSD Ports or Packages