FreeBSD on Soekris Hardware

Internal storage, motherboards, PCI cards, stuff inside the case.

FreeBSD on Soekris Hardware

Postby dann » 15 Feb 2009, 17:28

Installing, Maintenance, Applications
dann

Postby gilinko » 15 Feb 2009, 17:37

And what is your question? Or are you making a statement?
gilinko

Postby fredBSD » 26 Feb 2009, 16:00

I 'love' my net4801, so these would be my answers. Apologies if they weren't questions :)

Installing:

I do it the easy way, which is to plug a Compact Flash card into an CF - IDE adaptor on a larger faster computer, and proceed the usual way. It isn't much harder to do it the tftp way of course:

http://www.xinu.nl/unix/soekris/net4801/

It refers to FreeBSD-4.8 but I'm sure the information would apply to more recent releases. I'm running 6.3 currently:

> uname -a
FreeBSD soekris.*****.co.uk 6.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE #1: Tue Feb 10 20:32:25 GMT 2009 [email]john@soekris.*****.co.uk[/email]:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/SOEKRIS-BRIDGE i386

Maintenance:

Easy enough as soon as sshd is up and running. I managed to break it once by trying to source upgrade from 4.n to 6.n. Completely forgetting that half of the file system (/var, /tmp, /usr etc.) was on an external USB drive!

There are a few adjustments necessary to make the entire POST and booting process visible on a serial terminal, which I'll dig out of my notes if anyone needs it.

Applications:

Mine served as firewall (pf) and mail server (sendmail) for about 4 years non stop, but these days I use it for simulating bad network links with a dummynet bridge. It's ideal for that, as sis0 is on the LAN and sis1 and sis2 form the bridge.
fredBSD

Postby vivek » 26 Feb 2009, 18:21

I'm also using Soekris with two 4GB CF card. I've installed both FreeBSD and Debian and it works as a firewall. I'm also using it as silent BT client with extended storage via USB.
Neither in this world nor elsewhere is there any happiness in store for him who always doubts. If you enjoyed my answer please consider donating some money to FreeBSD foundation @ http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/
vivek

Return to System Hardware