Ports dependencies and port tools

Installing and maintaining the FreeBSD Ports Collection or FreeBSD Packages (i.e. third party software).

Ports dependencies and port tools

Postby richs-lxh » 11 May 2010, 20:23

Hi everybody

After a fresh install and a portsnap fetch, extract and update, I came across the same as the person in this thread:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=13904

Basically gtk20 issues with dependencies being incompatible. I managed to get it sorted (more or less) by going through and reinstalling each dependency that was complaining.

I am now at "libpng.so5 not found" which means I can't use my Terminator terminal, although other gui apps seem ok.

After reading the above thread and the links provided by DutchDaemon to ports-mgmt/portmaster and ports-mgmt/portupgrade, I decided to post and ask advice.

I basically want to avoid this dependency problem in the future so I want learn some good practise now. Which of those two apps would be better, Portmaster or Portupgrade?

Before i continue installing new apps from ports, I would like to get libpng.so5 installed correctly and my ports collection stabilized.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
richs-lxh

Postby graudeejs » 11 May 2010, 20:27

I prefer portmaster because it's a simple sh script, that doesn't require anything else.
Portupgrade also maintains it's own database, and this is another reason why I prefer portmaster. Portmaster gathers all info from /var/db, and doesn't need own database.

for info how to upgrade apps you should check /[FILE]usr/ports/UPDATING[/FILE] periodically
graudeejs
Style(9) Addict

Postby richs-lxh » 11 May 2010, 20:41

Thanks. After a reinstall, I was a but worried about having to go through it again. It's a bit time consuming.

Before installing anyhting else and risking more dependency problems, what would you suggest as my best solution.

I currently need libpng.so5, but I really want to try and get everything upgraded now, before I start deinstalling and reinstalling again.

I read up on upgrades last time, and thought I had done it correctly but ended up with no kernel at boot, and a reinstall.

The portmaster option sounds the way to go, but I am still a bit nervous of borking the system again.
richs-lxh

Postby richs-lxh » 11 May 2010, 20:46

Ok, I found a pretty easy to follow guide here:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/freebsd-updating-software-ports-applications/

Portsnap, which I have already done, then ports/UPDATING and portmaster, just like you said.
richs-lxh

Postby DutchDaemon » 11 May 2010, 21:18

You can give this script a try to stay up to date with the ports tree and installed ports.
DutchDaemon
Old Fart

Postby SirDice » 12 May 2010, 06:41

richs-lxh wrote:Before installing anyhting else and risking more dependency problems, what would you suggest as my best solution.

Always read [file]/usr/ports/UPDATING[/file] before starting.

I currently need libpng.so5, but I really want to try and get everything upgraded now, before I start deinstalling and reinstalling again.

20090719:
AFFECTS: users of graphics/jpeg
AUTHOR: dinoex@FreeBSD.org

The IJG jpeg library has been updated to version 7.0. Please rebuild all
ports that depend on it.

If you use portmaster:

portmaster -r jpeg-

Or, if you would prefer a more gradual approach:

portmaster -w jpeg- (Check the man page for more information)

If you use portupgrade:

portupgrade -fr graphics/jpeg

I read up on upgrades last time, and thought I had done it correctly but ended up with no kernel at boot, and a reinstall.

This has nothing to do with your ports.
Senior UNIX Engineer at Unix Support Nederland
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
Old Fart

Postby richs-lxh » 15 May 2010, 08:47

Ok, I have now read-up on /usr/ports/UPDATING

And have installed the portupdater script.

Everything now up to date and running nicely,

Thanks for the help.
richs-lxh

Return to Installation and Maintenance of FreeBSD Ports or Packages