[FreeNAS] Gigabit ethernet card is seen as 100Mbit

Internal storage, motherboards, PCI cards, stuff inside the case.

[FreeNAS] Gigabit ethernet card is seen as 100Mbit

Postby worjak » 24 Mar 2010, 12:13

Hi,

I'm new to freebsd.

I've recently installede a FreeNAS (FreeBSD 7.2-based) on my home network. After installing it I changed the network card from a 3com 100Mbit to D-link Gb. The network card I've put in after consulting the hardware list (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.2R/hardware.html#ETHERNET) is a "D-Link DGE-528(T) Gigabit Ethernet (8169S)" and it's using the re driver. There were no problems recognicing it in first boot :e.

I discovered the problem after speed testing my network with iperf and got thruputs less than 100Mbit. After this I checked FreeNAS' (web)interface to the network-setup to se that the card was registrered as "100baseTX <full-duplex>". :\

Can I get it to run full speed? Can it be the cable? I know I will not get Gigabit transfrer rates, but more than 100Mbit must be a modest wish?

Regards Jakob
worjak

Postby DutchDaemon » 24 Mar 2010, 12:21

DutchDaemon
Old Fart

Postby SirDice » 24 Mar 2010, 12:23

worjak wrote:I discovered the problem after speed testing my network with iperf and got thruputs less than 100Mbit. After this I checked FreeNAS' (web)interface to the network-setup to se that the card was registrered as "100baseTX <full-duplex>". :\

Can I get it to run full speed? Can it be the cable? I know I will not get Gigabit transfrer rates, but more than 100Mbit must be a modest wish?

You will only get the improved speed if you also have a gigabit switch.
Senior UNIX Engineer at Unix Support Nederland
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
Old Fart

Postby worjak » 24 Mar 2010, 13:17

I have a gigabit switch, but thanks for letting me clarify.
worjak

Postby SirDice » 24 Mar 2010, 13:47

Then it's most likely the cable. You need Cat5E cables. Also check if the speed/duplex settings aren't hard set on both your machine and the switch.
SirDice
Old Fart

Postby worjak » 24 Mar 2010, 17:57

Just rushed home to check my cables expecting to find CAT5's but, no, it's CAT5e. So I guess it will not help me to change to CAT6?

Where can I check the speed/duplex settings on my mashine. I can ssh into it. I've checked the switch and it doesn't seem to have a accessible place to set it.
worjak

Postby mav@ » 24 Mar 2010, 18:23

Make sure you have full 8-wire cable, as for 100Mbps enough to have only 4 wires.
mav@

Postby SirDice » 24 Mar 2010, 21:54

worjak wrote:Just rushed home to check my cables expecting to find CAT5's but, no, it's CAT5e. So I guess it will not help me to change to CAT6?

Nope. For these relatively short distances 5e will do just fine.

Where can I check the speed/duplex settings on my mashine.

[man=8]ifconfig[/man]

But it currently tells you you have a 100Mbit full duplex connection. This is what you want to see:
Code: Select all
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)

I've checked the switch and it doesn't seem to have a accessible place to set it.

The usual 'home' switches don't have that feature. Only managed switches have it ;)

Anyway, if it was FreeBSD I'd ask what version and probably tell you to update world :e
SirDice
Old Fart

Postby paean » 25 Mar 2010, 03:13

If the output of ifconfig doesn't have "autoselect" before the speed and duplex, then its manually set to use 100/full. Change the media and mediaopt flags to your desired speed and duplex.

On both ends. ( ;
Clear messages, focused subject matter and purposeful objectives lead to posts useful for all.
paean

Return to System Hardware