FreeBSD doesn't have guest additions drivers. Here's an simple workaround which basically does what "shared folders" do when you have guest additions installed;
- make sure that your VirtualBox network is in bridge mode for FreeBSD guest.
- make sure that your FreeBSD can ping Windows XP.
- make sure that it can resolve XP's hostname, try pinging it by hostname
- if not, add an entry into /etc/hosts
- add another user in your XP system, grant him some privileges on the directory you want to share,
now, as root on your FreeBSD guest do something like this
- Code: Select all
mount_smbfs //user@xp_box/SHARED /mnt/xp
...where of course, user is XP user that has some rights on the share, SHARED is the windows share name, and /mnt/xp is target directory. It will ask you for your user password, and that should be it.
Basically, when in bridge networking mode, vbox host and guests are like computers on the same physical network.