log message

Hi there.
During exploring my logs I found a message that appear often:
Code:
kernel: Jan 17 11:47:38 user inetd[902]: ssh/tcp: bind: Address already in use
how can I get rid of that and from where it comes?

thanks

Are you starting sshd with inetd?
Check the output of
Code:
$ grep sshd /etc/rc.conf
$ grep sshd /etc/inetd.conf

yes
Code:
grep sshd /etc/rc.conf
sshd_enable="YES"
> grep sshd /etc/inetd.conf
ssh     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/sshd          sshd -i -4
#ssh    stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/sbin/sshd          sshd -i -6
>

You see, you are starting it twice.
Either comment the one in /etc/rc.conf or the one in /etc/inetd.conf depending on how you want to have it started.

Thanks ... :r I understood. And if we are here. I disable sshd in inetd. In this case my inetd starts nothing. Does it make sense to start it at boot?

thanks

If you don't have anything enabled in inetd.conf there's no need to start it from rc.conf at all, so you can remove the inetd_enable="YES" line from it.

You for completeness, a reboot is not needed, you can use something like # /etc/rc.d/inetd forcestop or with # /etc/rc.d/inetd stop before commenting the line in /etc/rc.conf

Thank you. And for my full completeness, what is the difference in starting a server through inetd or standalone? Is there any suggestions in this?

If you start it from /etc/rc.conf sshd will be up listening on (default) port 22 .
If you start it from /etc/inetd.conf, inetd will be listening on the same port. When a connection to that port is opened, inetd will start sshd and it will stop it when the connection get closed.

Back