Webcam programs working with webcamd in FreeBSD

Some time ago a lot of people where complaining about FreeBSD not having the possibility to use a webcam. Okay, we had a gspca driver and some other drivers but only for v4l1 and most of them don't work anymore. Now we have webcamd and v4l2 and we (The FreeBSD people) can take advantage of that. Webcamd have a lot of drivers and also the important UVC driver. There are a lot of programs that are working with a webcam on linux and now these programs can work on FreeBSD. I have succesfully compiled and run the following programs on FreeBSD:

wxcam
guvcview
effectv
luvcview
uvcview
mplayer
mencoder
mjpg_streamer
uvc_streamer
camorama
camserv
motion
xawtv
zoneminder

I have screenshots of this programs running on FreeBSD 8.0 release. For more information, go to http://www.rockafunk.org/

Making ports of all of this programs can easy be done. I already have the patches. Any help is welcome.

zeiz said:
Tried to get my Logitech webcam working with webcamd and cuse4bsd but no luck :(

Can you be more specific what is not working? Can you post some error messages. How did you install webcamd? There is a port of webcamd and you also need to install v4l_compat and libv4l. Do /dev/video0 exist?

mplayer and vlc work here. Skype and flash are still non-functioning (just gives green static). At least when I last tried about 2 weeks ago.

Adam

adamk said:
mplayer and vlc work here. Skype and flash are still non-functioning (just gives green static). At least when I last tried about 2 weeks ago.

Adam

I have tried skype but no luck yet. For the video in skype to work, some patching need to be done in the kernel source. Skype on FreeBSD work under linux emulation and I think the patches only work only the pwc driver. The patches can be found at http://opal.com/freebsd/sys/compat/linux/.

sk8harddiefast said:
Me too. Same problem with Zeiz. If i remember right it was refused to see camera on usb port or something like that.

Do /dev/video0 exists? How do you start webcamd? First you need to load cuse4bsd by doing kldload cuse4bsd Then do a dmesg in a terminal to find out the ugen number. My logitec camera gives "ugen4.3".

Load webcamd like this:
# As root or use sudo

webcamd -d ugen4.3 -i 0 -v 0

Also change the permissions of your video device.
# As root or use sudo

chmod 666 /dev/video0

Test with pwcview:

pwcview

Install webcamd instructions

I see that some people have problems installing webcamd. I like to help so I have written here how I have done it.

Get the latest port tarballs for v4l_compat, libv4l, pwcview and webcamd.
Also get the cuse4bsd source.
Just follow the instructions to do that.
######################################################################

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/multimedia/v4l_compat/

Code:
tar xvzf v4l_compat.tar.gz

cd v4l_compat

sudo make install
----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/multimedia/libv4l/

Code:
tar xvzf libv4l.tar.gz

cd libv4l

sudo make install

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/multimedia/pwcview/

Code:
tar xvzf pwcview.tar.gz

cd pwcview

sudo make install

Get cuse4bsd and install it

Code:
svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b/trunk/usbcam/cuse4bsd

cd cuse4bsd

sudo make all install

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/multimedia/webcamd/

Code:
tar xvzf webcamd.tar.gz

cd webcamd

sudo make install
# restart devd

Code:
sudo /etc/rc.d/devd restart
Code:
sudo kldload cuse4bsd
# Plugin your webcam and find out the ugen it is using.

Code:
dmesg

# If it is ugen4.2

Code:
webcamd -d ugen4.2 -i 0 -v 0

# If it is ugen2.2

Code:
webcamd -d ugen2.2 -i 0 -v 0

# change permission of device
# You can also do that with /etc/devfs.rules
# add path 'video*' mode 0666

Code:
sudo chmod 666 /dev/video

# Test

Code:
pwcview

I hope this helps.

Actually tried Skype :)
Anyway:
Code:
$ pwcview
Warning short read, got only 6174 of 115200 bytes
"Green box" and multiple warnings like above.

Code:
$ ls -l /dev/video0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator    0, 138 Jun 19 21:54 /dev/video0

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
webcamd_enable="YES"
/boot/loader.conf
Code:
cuse4bsd_load="YES"
pwc_load="YES"
Code:
$ ls /var/db/pkg | grep v4l
libv4l-0.6.4
v4l_compat-1.0.20100403_1
/etc/devfs.conf
Code:
perm   video0   0666
Code:
# webcamd -d ugen2.2 -i 0 -v 0
Webcamd is already running for ugen2.2.0
Ports were up-to-date

Hi zeiz, if your webcam supports the pwc driver you should only load that driver. If you put
Code:
webcamd_enable="YES"
in your rc.conf the webcamd driver will load on boot. And when you then do
Code:
webcamd -d ugen2.2 -i 0 -v 0
you load the driver for the second time. Do not load the pwc driver and webcamd together.

Understandable. I just shown that webcamd is loaded.
However
Do not load the pwc driver and webcamd together
Did you mean that webcamd will be loaded by pwc driver and thus no need in webcamd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf?

pwc is a driver for specific webcams.. webcamd + cuse4bsd should be used for webcams *not* supported by pwc.

Adam

Thanks but how could you comment this:
Chuchubi said:
Do /dev/video0 exists? How do you start webcamd? First you need to load cuse4bsd by doing kldload cuse4bsd Then do a dmesg in a terminal to find out the ugen number. My logitec camera gives "ugen4.3".

Load webcamd like this:
# As root or use sudo

webcamd -d ugen4.3 -i 0 -v 0

Also change the permissions of your video device.
# As root or use sudo

chmod 666 /dev/video0

Test with pwcview:

pwcview
? cuse4bsd loaded, webcam loaded and then pwcview started. But you said that pwc is only for some webcams. Did you mean that for other webcams cuse4bsd+webcamd must be loaded to make pwcview working? And for those supported by pwc no need in both cuse4bsd and webcamd?
Sorry if I'm really dumb today :)

There is the pwc driver (for specific webcams) and then there is the pwcview program, which is not specific to the pwc driver.

Adam

pwcview

adamk said:
There is the pwc driver (for specific webcams) and then there is the pwcview program, which is not specific to the pwc driver.

Adam

You are right. The program pwcview is just a program to view /dev/video0. The driver does not matter for pwcview. The pwc driver however is just for webcams supporting this driver. If you dont have such a webcam you dont have to load the pwc driver. So you are right!

So, assuming that pwcview works for both following cases, should I use webcamd + pwc if my webcam supported and webcamd + cuse4bsd othewise?

Wow, you really are having a hard time with this:

Do not load the pwc driver and webcamd together

If your card is supported by the pwc driver, use it (do not use webcamd). If it's not supported by the pwc driver use cuse4bsd+webcamd.

Adam

Chuchubi: Do you plan to create some PRs with the patches, so they get into the ports collection?

Got it working. Thanks, Chuchubi!
A couple of problems are here.
First video0 looks always being created under root credentials and editing of /etc/defaults/devfs.rules or /etc/devfs.rules or /etc/devfs.conf doesn't work here. Only chmod works for given session.

Second: during boot webcam first fails to start:
Code:
Starting webcamd
/libexec/libexc/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object libcuse4bsd.so.1 not found required by "webcamd"
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/webcamd: WARNING: failed to start webcamd
ELF ldconfig path: ..... /usr/local/lib ....
However
Code:
find / -name libcuse4bsd.so.1
/usr/local/lib/libcuse4bsd.so.1
Nevertheless webcamd starts later. I am on 9-current, it could be the -current problem.

Skype (tarball: skype_static-2.0.0.72-oss.tar.bz2) doesn't work yet: both video and audio.
On Linux same webcam works fine.

lme@ said:
Chuchubi: Do you plan to create some PRs with the patches, so they get into the ports collection?

I would like to create the ports but I have to do a lot of reading and that may take some time. My experience with writing a port from scratch is very little at the moment. I have edited and upgraded some existing ports that were left alone by the maintainers. That is why any help is welcome. If you want to help I will send you the patches. Just let me know.

Chuchubi said:
I would like to create the ports but I have to do a lot of reading and that may take some time. My experience with writing a port from scratch is very little at the moment. I have edited and upgraded some existing ports that were left alone by the maintainers. That is why any help is welcome. If you want to help I will send you the patches. Just let me know.

Great, just send me your patches and I'll take a look at it.

Back