[PC-BSD] laptop speakers not working

Hi,

I have an aspire one 532h. The speakers on the netbook do not seem to produce sound. However if I use the headphones I can hear the sounds just fine.

I am running pc-bsd 8.0

Code:
[bhorne@pcbsd-7986 /usr/home/bhorne]$ uname -a
FreeBSD pcbsd-7986 8.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2 #4: Thu Jan  7 09:20:42 PST 2010     [email]root@build8x32.pcbsd.org[/email]:
/usr/obj/usr/pcbsd-build80/fbsd-source/8.0-src/sys/PCBSD  i386
Part of my /boot/loader.conf

Code:
# Load sound-support
sound_load="YES"
# snd_uaudio_load="YES"
snd_hda_load="YES"

Code:
root@pcbsd-7986# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2009061500/i386)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <HDA Realtek ALC272 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0 kld snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:4v/1r:4v channels duplex default)
pcm1: <HDA Realtek ALC272 PCM #1 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0 kld snd_hda [MPSAFE] (0p:0v/1r:1v channels simplex)

Code:
[bhorne@pcbsd-7986 /usr/home/bhorne]$ mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  99:99
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  99:99
Mixer mix      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer rec      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer ogain    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer monitor  is currently set to  99:99
Recording source:

So my question is what can I do to get sound from the speakers built into the laptop?

Try running # sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=1

There are many older posts with similar suggestions. Kindly search the forum.

If paean's solution does not work this can be tricky to configure correctly, but the first step is to do a verbose boot so the that the driver prints out it's default pin configuration.

# nextboot -o "-v" -k kernel
# reboot

And after boot, you can look at the output via dmesg.

As long as you have snd_hda loading on bootup you should get a pin mapping like the example in the snd_hda manpage.

Then you might have to experiment a little to figure out which is which and set your device.hints file to map the correct outputs. It took me a while too, but I eventually figured out the correct mapping on my laptop.

Now that you know what type of information you're looking for, you might be able to find a solution via google as well by exploring searches with specific pin mappings.

Be sure to publish your solution!

Back