[FreeNAS] Gigabit ethernet card is seen as 100Mbit

Hi,

I'm new to freebsd.

I've recently installede a FreeNAS (FreeBSD 7.2-based) on my home network. After installing it I changed the network card from a 3com 100Mbit to D-link Gb. The network card I've put in after consulting the hardware list (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.2R/hardware.html#ETHERNET) is a "D-Link DGE-528(T) Gigabit Ethernet (8169S)" and it's using the re driver. There were no problems recognicing it in first boot :e.

I discovered the problem after speed testing my network with iperf and got thruputs less than 100Mbit. After this I checked FreeNAS' (web)interface to the network-setup to se that the card was registrered as "100baseTX <full-duplex>". :\

Can I get it to run full speed? Can it be the cable? I know I will not get Gigabit transfrer rates, but more than 100Mbit must be a modest wish?

Regards Jakob

worjak said:
I discovered the problem after speed testing my network with iperf and got thruputs less than 100Mbit. After this I checked FreeNAS' (web)interface to the network-setup to se that the card was registrered as "100baseTX <full-duplex>". :\

Can I get it to run full speed? Can it be the cable? I know I will not get Gigabit transfrer rates, but more than 100Mbit must be a modest wish?
You will only get the improved speed if you also have a gigabit switch.

Then it's most likely the cable. You need Cat5E cables. Also check if the speed/duplex settings aren't hard set on both your machine and the switch.

Just rushed home to check my cables expecting to find CAT5's but, no, it's CAT5e. So I guess it will not help me to change to CAT6?

Where can I check the speed/duplex settings on my mashine. I can ssh into it. I've checked the switch and it doesn't seem to have a accessible place to set it.

worjak said:
Just rushed home to check my cables expecting to find CAT5's but, no, it's CAT5e. So I guess it will not help me to change to CAT6?
Nope. For these relatively short distances 5e will do just fine.

Where can I check the speed/duplex settings on my mashine.
ifconfig(8)

But it currently tells you you have a 100Mbit full duplex connection. This is what you want to see:
Code:
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)

I've checked the switch and it doesn't seem to have a accessible place to set it.
The usual 'home' switches don't have that feature. Only managed switches have it ;)

Anyway, if it was FreeBSD I'd ask what version and probably tell you to update world :e

If the output of ifconfig doesn't have "autoselect" before the speed and duplex, then its manually set to use 100/full. Change the media and mediaopt flags to your desired speed and duplex.

On both ends. ( ;

Back