Can't install SpamAssassin (3.3.0_2)

Hi everyone,

I tried to upgrade to SpamAssassin 3.3.0_2 the other day via portupgrade, but got some errors (see below). Then I decided to uninstall 3.2.5 thinking that something was bugged up on the system and that's what was preventing the upgrade from taking place. Now when I try to install 3.3.0_2 I still get the same errors when I 'make install clean':

Code:
===>  Building for p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.0_2 
make: cannot open Makefile. 
*** Error code 1 

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin. 
*** Error code 1 

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin.

How can it not find Makefile--it's right there:

Code:
</usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin> # ls
Makefile        distinfo        files/          pkg-deinstall*  pkg-descr       pkg-install*    pkg-message     pkg-plist       work/

I'm using 6.2-Release-p1 which has been working absolutely flawlessly for about three years--which is why I never bothered with updates. (Just now I read about the 'freebsd-update' command in the manual, and wanted to update to Release 8.0. I ran the command with the 'fetch' and then the 'install' options, but even though it downloaded a bunch of stuff, now when I do uname -a, it still shows the same version. Anyway, this is not important and I don't care what version of the OS I'm running.. I just want SpamAssassin to work.

I posted on a couple of other forums but no one ever got back to me.. maybe someone here will find it in their heart to help me?

Thank you so much,

Dany

My guess is that you are missing some dependencies that SA needs for building it. You should first update your portstree, and then do portupgrade -Rrf p5-Mail-SpamAssassin.

hmm... ran pkgdb -F and it found that there's s "stale dependency" between spamass-milter and spamassassin 3.2.5_4. Chose to fix this, and it tried to install 3.3.0_2 (not sure why it wouldn't try to install 3.2.5_4 again, but whatever). It didn't work of course, but I got some more information about the error... I think:

Code:
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa /tmp/portinstall20100217-18549-1jf4v7f-0 env make

** Fix the problem and try again.

** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
        ! mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin     (unknown build error)
Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/local/sbin/portinstall mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin
I have no idea what the first line means..

--

I also downloaded the 3.2.5_4 package and tried to pkg_add it, but I got this:

Code:
pkg_add: can't stat package file 'p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5_4.tbz'
... and of course I don't know what THIS means either.

Anyone? Please?

Thank you,

D.

MarcoB said:
My guess is that you are missing some dependencies that SA needs for building it. You should first update your portstree, and then do portupgrade -Rrf p5-Mail-SpamAssassin.

Oh my God! Thank you so much for replying! OK, I just ran portsnap fetch update about an hour ago, so I guess I'll just try what you said.

Thanks a lot again!

Dany

taladas said:
Oh my God! Thank you so much for replying! OK, I just ran portsnap fetch update about an hour ago, so I guess I'll just try what you said.

Thanks a lot again!

Dany

:( All I got was "[Exclude up-to-date packages done]"

Thanks for trying Marco... do you think there's anything else I could try?

Dany

Back