How to download FreeBSD-Current or FreeBSD-Stable using svn?

How to download FreeBSD-Current or FreeBSD-STABLE using svn?

The goal of this article is to help users who want to get started developing on FreeBSD and want to contribute code fixes/changes/enhancements to FreeBSD. I really try to be “newbie” proof, so even a newbie can do this, so if you think I am stating the obvious, then skip what you already know.

The first thing you need to do in order to work on FreeBSD code is to download the FreeBSD code itself.

Read more here...

I didn't see any "How to" on this subject here, so I wrote this one, even though it is simple, I thought it was needed because I had always used cvs and not svn.

Feel free to give me feed back, report typos, or errors, etc...

Didn't know about "svn list", that's handy, thanks.

A note for those who want to play with multiple source trees:

When compiling the world, /usr/obj/ includes the name of the source tree, so if you have /usr/src-7, /usr/src-8, /usr/src-7.2 and so on, you can use a single /usr/obj. You'll get paths like /usr/obj/usr/src-7/ and /usr/obj/usr/src-8, and so on. Quite handy if you want to play. :)

To "update" your source tree between versions, use svn switch. For example, if you initially did # svn co [url=svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/7.2/]svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/7.2/[/url] but want to do a source upgrade to 8.0, then use # svn switch [url=svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/8.0/]svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/8.0/[/url]

The nice thing about using svn, is that you can follow the -CURRENT, -STABLE, or security trees with ease, as a "source tree update" is a simple svn update in the source directory.

Back