Installing KDE

lol, ok there is something i just don't understand about this, i have been using the handbook, freshports, and the bsd search, even google, to find the Full KDE install. It was suggested that since i was re-installing everything to fix what i ruined, that i should not install the kde from the cd, but rather download the new port/package. Kde3 or kde4.

I ran the "freebsd-update fetch" and "freebsd-update install" and rebooted. all went fine.

I can't seem to find out exactly what i need to download from the ftp site or how to download it. when i search for kde in fresh ports or on the bsd search i get tons and tons of hits. The only thing i see that may be the full install is the "meta-port" is that what i need to do the full install. next how exactly do i start the download and why doesn't ls work when connected to the ftp server? were does it download it to? and then its as simple as going to the directory it downloaded it to, and typing "make && make install clean" right? or would i still use pkg_add?

thanks in advance.

NOTE: I choose not to install the ports package from the cd during the sysinstall. should i just re-run sysinstall and add the ports package and then install kde from the cd and upgrade that?

well you can get the already compiled package witch saves you a lot of time by pkg_add -r kde or you can install from ports witch you'll have to compile (and will take about 6 hours or so depending on your computer by cd /usr/ports/x11/kde4 && make install clean

before you do that have the ports up to date by doing
portsnap fetch
portsnap extract (assuming you do not have a ports tree)
portsnap update (assuming you have a ports tree)
pkgdb -F (fix any inconsistencies)
portsupgrade -a (will update all ports installed)

(kopete is broken so don't try to make it work)

pkg_add -r kde4? If you want to compile it from the port then you will first need to get the port by these commands:

portsnap fetch && portsnap extract && portsnap update.

This will get you the ports collections.

cd /usr/ports/x11/kde4
make install clean

And this will install kde4.

P.S: To use portsupgrade you will need to install that too.

cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portsupgrade
make install clean

Also if your using the default shell then remember to rehash everytime you install a program.

ok guys, most of that went right over my head :(

so I just, booted, logged into the console and tried:
Code:
# pkg_add -r kde4
Error: FTP Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.0-release/Latest/kde4.tbz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.0-release/Latest/kde4.tbz' by URL

so to make sure im on the internet i did:
Code:
# ftp -a ftp2.FreeBSD.org
Connected to ftp2.us.FreeBSD.org.
220 Verio FreeBSD mirror
230 Hi. No need to log in; I'm an anonymous ftp server.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp>

whats up? and "-a" don't know what that does but I seen that code in the handbook for connecting to the ftp server.

as for the portsnap, I didn't install the port collection during the sysinstall so that would mean i have no port tree, correct?

so i started that:
Code:
# portsnap fetch
Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching public key from portsnap2.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap2.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching snapshot metadata... done.
Fetching snapshot generated at Thu Dec 11 20:00:12 EST 2008:
9f94857-2934750u7n802t6-75n82v979076 16% of 54MB 35kBps 22m14s

NOTE: the last line is mostly gibberish cuz i wasn't retyping that huge line of letters and numbers

Either way, I figure its better to have the up-to-date port tree so im not worried about gettin that downloaded and installed but why won't the 'pkg_add -r kde4" work??

ok i re-read everything you guys wrote and now have a couple new questions. how do i re-hash everything? and

had the "pkg_add -r kde4" worked, i still shouldn't need the port tree right? still not sure why it didn't.

OK i think i figured it out.... kde4 doesn't work.. when i did "pkg_add -r kde" it started downloading everything and is still going. not sure which version its installing but its working. lol.

does the -r me retrieve.. and thats why its grabbing everything from the ftp server?

Lego said:
ok i re-read everything you guys wrote and now have a couple new questions. how do i re-hash everything? and

had the "pkg_add -r kde4" worked, i still shouldn't need the port tree right? still not sure why it didn't.

I don't think there is a package for kde4 yet. Packages are normally only made for new releases of the system, so the last one is probably kde-3.5.8. At least that is the one I have on my system (7.0). I think you will have more success with this command:
Code:
 # pkg_add -r kde

With pkg_add you don't specify version numbers, you are automatically given the latest one for your version of FreeBSD.

As for the ports tree, I think portsnap requires an existing ports tree even before you issue the command "portsnap fetch extract". So do as you suggested, go back to sysinstall and install the ports tree from the CD.

Also, to add to the confusion, there are some typos in the previous posts: It should be "portupgrade", not "portsupgrade".
Actually, I think you should consider portmaster instead of portupgrade. Will save you a lot of problems with keeping portupgrade's database updated! Take my word for it, I used it for many years before portmaster was introduced.

How to rehash? That's really much, much simpler than you will believe:

Code:
# rehash

Simple, eh? :e

Lego said:
OK i think i figured it out.... kde4 doesn't work.. when i did "pkg_add -r kde" it started downloading everything and is still going. not sure which version its installing but its working. lol.

So you found it yourself, four minutes before I pressed the "submit" button? Well done! :e

does the -r me retrieve.. and thats why its grabbing everything from the ftp server?

I think that's more or less correct. If my memory serves me, the -r option for pkg_add means "remote fetch". So pkg_add goes to the right place and finds the correct version of the program you are looking for. Nice, isn't it? :p

lol yea, only 4mins not bad :) thanks everyone for the help im sure i'll be back in here :)

ADDED:

actually the port tree installed fine.. without needing the upgrade because i didn't have the tree installed. dunno but it worked :p

Lego said:
actually the port tree installed fine.. without needing the upgrade because i didn't have the tree installed. dunno but it worked :p

I am not updated! :(

A.6.4 in the handbook states clearly:

Handbook A.6.4 said:
# portsnap extract

Note: In the default installation /usr/ports is not created. If you run FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE, it should be created before portsnap is used. On more recent versions of FreeBSD or Portsnap, this operation will be done automatically at first use of the portsnap command.

So your ports tree is OK!

:p thats why it auto did it cuz im running 7.0

So i just booted KDE and it crashed, restarted the comp and ran KDE again booted fine. now i just need to figure out how to get my internet setting from the console to KDE so i can use the browser :s

well turns out it was my net error that was making KDE not have net, its fixed :) THANKS to everyone!!

Back