How to upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0

After spending lots of time searching the net I can't find any way to upgrade my system from 7.2 to 8.0. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I don't want to do a binary upgrade but want to upgrade from source. I normally use portsnap. Can we use that or do we have to use cvsup?

Yes, I have. couldn't find anything useful there. It only describes what cvsup is then goes on the say;

"24.7 Rebuilding “world”
Once you have synchronized your local source tree against a particular version of FreeBSD (FreeBSD-STABLE, FreeBSD-CURRENT, and so on) you can then use the source tree to rebuild the system."

But it never gave what commands to use to update the source. And again, do we have to use cvsup or can we use portsnap?

I didn't see anything there about how to update the source, only a description of what cvsup is.

Have you upgraded the base system yet?

Nope, don't know how.

That uses freebsd-update, does a binary update not from source, not what I want.

a quick handbook search would return this:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...k/mirrors.html

Here are interesting subsections
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ook/cvsup.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO.../cvs-tags.html

note that cvsup, is now in base system and i called csup

also csup(1)

Not helpful, doesn't say anything about upgrading from 7.2 to 8.0

I've read all that and don't have the slightest idea how to upgrade my 7.2 system to 8.0. Does anybody know who can tell me? The answer "read the manual" is not helpful.

I do upgrade like I described here
Another info is here
If you don't want any explanations this is naked algorithm:
# ee /root/src-supfile
Copy the text below and paste it into your termal (new file):
Code:
*default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8
*default delete use-rel-suffix
src-all
Press Esc, then pres "a" and "a" again.
Then type one by one:
Code:
# cp -r /etc/ /etc.old
# cp -r /boot /boot.old
# csup -L 2 /root/src-supfile
# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# reboot
On boot screen choose Single user mode (press 4 ).
Press Enter when asked for default shell.
Code:
# fsck
# mount -a -t ufs
# cd /usr/src
# make installworld
# mergemaster -Fi ## this is tricky: don't delete your password file! Watch for word "root" and your user name in files and pay maximum attention to that files.
Answer yes to delete temproot.
Reboot.
If you are lucky you now have 8-STABLE and you can update it daily if you want.

Have fun and don't blame me if you screw your system without reading what others recommended in this thread.

check if you have
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf

Did you build X with HAL enabled? If not comment out hald_enable="YES"

sixtydoses said:
FreeBSD upgrade can be done either by using freebsd-update tool or rebuilding it from the source. For the latter option there are detailed steps listed inside the /usr/src/Makefile as well.

The links given in earlier posts are useful.

How do I know which one to do, binary upgrade or from source? I always install ports from source not package so it's built on my system. Shouldn't I do upgrade the same way? How do you choose which way to do it? I think building on your own system is the preferred way, right?

killasmurf86 said:
check if you have
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf

Did you build X with HAL enabled? If not comment out hald_enable="YES"

Yes, both of those are there but I don't remember if I built X with HAL enabled or not. Is there any way I can tell?

Whatever you prefer...
I prefer to compile everything on my machine....
Others prefer not to waste time compiling and simply do binary update

If you have very old and slow pc, you probably will want binary update, because compiling sources on slow machine is ...... slow

killasmurf86 said:
Whatever you prefer...
I prefer to compile everything on my machine....
Others prefer not to waste time compiling and simply do binary update

If you have very old and slow pc, you probably will want binary update, because compiling sources on slow machine is ...... slow

I have AMD64, I prefer to compile everything on my machine too but I can't figure out how to upgrade by source so I tried the binary way. Of course it didn't work. In the boot up messages the text for the mouse is in brighter (bold?) white text. What does that mean? It says;

Code:
ums0: <Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse,class 0/0, rev 2.00/20.00, addr 2> on usb6
usm0: 4 buttons and [XYZ] coordinates ID=0

SeaHag said:
I tried this but after the first reboot the usb mouse doesn't work in X anymore but works in the shell. Any ideas how to fix it?

I don't exactly remember everything I did but the first time I upgraded to FreeBSD 8.0 my mouse failed to work in my X as well. I managed to get it to work by adding Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off" under the ServerLayout section of my xorg.conf (you can find this mentioned in /usr/src/UPDATING). I've commented out that option though after removing my libusb and recompile my hal (I think).

@zeiz - isn't it supposed to be the following?

Code:
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8_0

sixtydoses said:
@zeiz - isn't it supposed to be the following?

Code:
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8_0
If you want to track 8.0-RELEASE. RELENG_8 tracks 8.0-STABLE.

Back