startX bad display name

after googled online, havent found any helpful clues.

whenever i run "startx", i need to wait about 1 min or use "ctrl_C" to abort following error for staring X-environment
Code:
"Xauth:(argv): bad display name "localhost.local:0" in "list" command
I have tried to disable /etc/hosts lines or re-edit the content, but havent sorted it out.

i am wondering if someone could help with? thanks a lot

thanks for your reply,
i am using the default at the moment
Code:
::1			localhost localhost.my.domain 
127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.my.domain

I am wondering the domain name can be anything or not?

You should put value of your `hostname` to /etc/hosts, like:
Code:
::1  yourhostname yourhostname.yourdomain localhost
127.0.0.1  yourhostname yourhostname.yourdomain localhost

NAC said:
thanks for your reply,
i am using the default at the moment

I am wondering the domain name can be anything or not?
It shouldn't conflict with existing namespace, I believe. Put something with more than four letters to the right of the dot and you should be safe. I usually set my hostname to a single, longish name, like britomart, or belphoebe, or duessa.

The problem I suspect you are having is that your hostname is set to one thing in /etc/rc.conf & that doesn't match your /etc/hosts.

fronclynne said:
It shouldn't conflict with existing namespace, I believe. Put something with more than four letters to the right of the dot and you should be safe. I usually set my hostname to a single, longish name, like britomart, or belphoebe, or duessa.

The problem I suspect you are having is that your hostname is set to one thing in /etc/rc.conf & that doesn't match your /etc/hosts.

thank you, yes you are right, in rc.conf
hostname="locahost.local"

iam going to have a try

Don't use .local as a TLD and don't use localhost as a hostname.

I just had this same problem where I had setup some local and remote FreeBSD jails but after changing the IPs, X forwarding stopped working with a similar xauth error. I had to make sure the correct domain and IP was properly placed in /etc/hosts inside the jails and X forwarding started working again. :)

Back