keyboard

Graaf_van_Vlaanderen said:
KDE4 is not taking over the keyboard layout from cli.
Which file do I need to edit to change keyboard layout for KDE4?

are you trying setxkbmap to set your layout? I have never tried it with KDE. But it worked on other wm's after changing the layout from the commandline using setxkbmap for me.

Daisuke_Aramaki said:
are you trying setxkbmap to set your layout? I have never tried it with KDE. But it worked on other wm's after changing the layout from the commandline using setxkbmap for me.

Code:
%setxkbmap be

works for me.
The question is now, in which file do I need to place this?
Or what is changing the keymap setting from the rc.conf file or why is this value not taken over by the X system?

If you ever read man pages (kbdmap(1)) you would know that console keyboard settings are not related to X11 in any way.

You can change keyboard setting via xorg.conf too.
Also there are gui tools available in KDE4.

richardpl said:
If you ever read man pages (kbdmap(1)) you would know that console keyboard settings are not related to X11 in any way.

It's the first time I'm installing FreeBSD on a laptop, so there are quite some issues to solve.
I'm reading man pages and documents already for the whole day, so I can miss comments like this!

Graaf_van_Vlaanderen said:
Code:
%setxkbmap be

works for me.
The question is now, in which file do I need to place this?
Or what is changing the keymap setting from the rc.conf file or why is this value not taken over by the X system?

i start my X with xinit so i have this command in my .xinitrc, like this

Code:
setxkbmap de &

This way, everytime X is started the keyboard map "de" is used.

I'm not 100% sure that this is going to work on kde too, but try looking at this [post=19423]post[/post].
Obviously you'll have to set the correct string inside the merge node.

Back