YouTube not working in Firefox

I use Firefox on FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE, and use Flash player through nspluginwrapper and Linux emulation. Since yesterday, YouTube videos haven't worked on Firefox. I know that flash player works on Firefox, I don't have gnash, and YouTube works in Opera.
Is there a solution to this problem (Other than changing my browser)?

Happening here, too. Videos either think there is no Flash or cause Firefox to coredump. Run Firefox from the command line and see if it shows this:
Code:
% firefox
(process:77232): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Assertion failed: (wrote >= 0 && wrote == got), function cubeb_refill_stream, file /usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-release/media/libcubeb/src/cubeb_alsa.c, line 314.
Abort (core dumped)

Try enabling the HTML5 trial on Youtube, if your browser supports it, it should work for some videos, the ones that don't appear to work will, if you use the embedded link.

The same

The same here. YouTube became useless in latest Firefox last days. It either hangs in the video area, or tells me to upgrade Flash (it is in the latest Linux distro). In Epiphany YouTube still works. HTML5 is still too buggy, and not available for all videos. Also severe audio-video de-sync (or lagging in reaction) occurs when it is possible to start video in YouTube in Firefox.

FreeBSD-9.1.

I'm also having this problem (certain videos say I don't have the flash plugin installed). Setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to false in about:config seems to be working, but I can not say for sure since the problem only happened with certain videos (which I can't specifically recall).

I only have the build options GSTREAMER, LOGGING, OPTIMIZE_CFLAGS and OSS selected.

• Thanks
Reactions: dza
When Firefox terminates a plugin that is no longer responding, you will see the "plugin has crashed" error dialog. To prevent Firefox from terminating plugins it considers non-responsive, must set dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs to -1 in about:config.

Mine didn't say anything about a plugin crashing, it just coredumped.

To be more specific about these workarounds: enter about:config as a URL, right-click, select New, Boolean, enter media.use_cubeb, and set it to false. dom.ipc.plugins.enabled already exists, just set it to false. After that, close and restart Firefox.

Followup: some non-Youtube videos will not play if the second one is set to false. But if it is set to true, some Youtube videos claim Flash is not installed.

YuryG said:
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to false works for me, thanks! Some videos I couldn't watch on youtube (all) yesterday I can now.

Thanks! Now I can watch YouTube videos in Firefox!

Definitely something going on there - I don't get the crashes, but more often than not I get the "You need to install flash player" on an animated GIF background of analog TV snow. Latest flash version, works just dandy everywhere else. Tricks listed above make no difference.

Does the same thing when enabling HTML5, and when you click on the animated GIF which replaces the flash data, it's definitely showing that it's trying to push HTTP HTML5 video down and has cancelled the flash load just as it would normally start. Seems to me as though they're screwing with Firefox, Epiphany and Chromium work just fine.

KNOStic said:
Definitely something going on there - I don't get the crashes, but more often than not I get the "You need to install flash player" on an animated GIF background of analog TV snow. Latest flash version, works just dandy everywhere else. Tricks listed above make no difference.

Does the same thing when enabling HTML5, and when you click on the animated GIF which replaces the flash data, it's definitely showing that it's trying to push HTTP HTML5 video down and has cancelled the flash load just as it would normally start. Seems to me as though they're screwing with Firefox, Epiphany and Chromium work just fine.

I have the same situation as you. I just get the message "You need to install flash player." I am running v 20 on Firefox and 9.1 on freebsd FreeBSD.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

With Firefox 20, media.use_cubeb true, and dom.ipc.plugins.enabled left at the default (true), no problems with any video tried so far.

No, for me YouTube videos still could only be played with dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to false in latest Firefox 20; the same as earlier, in 19th version of Firefox. (By the way, I didn't use media.use_cubeb either time.)

jrm said:
I'm also having this problem (certain videos say I don't have the flash plugin installed). Setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to false in about:config seems to be working, but I can not say for sure since the problem only happened with certain videos (which I can't specifically recall).

Hope this helps identifying those videos:

In my experience, without the mentioned workaround, videos that are only available in 240p resolution could be played without any problems, the rest (ie. ones also available in HD resolutions did not work for me.

wblock@ said:

To be more specific about these workarounds: enter about:config as a URL, right-click, select New, Boolean, enter media.use_cubeb, and set it to false. dom.ipc.plugins.enabled already exists, just set it to false. After that, close and restart Firefox.

Followup: some non-Youtube videos will not play if the second one is set to false. But if it is set to true, some Youtube videos claim Flash is not installed.

This works for me.
Thanks!

Just disable the adblock addon and it should probably work

Just disable the Adblock add-on and it should probably work. It worked for me that way.

zubair said:
Just disable the Adblock add-on and it should probably work. It worked for me that way.

I did not have Adblock on my Firefox. And anyways I'm now using Opera (got a little too used to it).

Hey friends,

This work around was working for quite some time, but now this one has stopped responding. I tried other combinations as given in this thread but again the video part is not working.

Any suggestions please.

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled is the touchy one. As reported, some videos only work with it set to true, some only work with it set to false.

wblock@ said:

Thanks! That solved my problem.

Back