How to install NVIDIA driver

[ thread created from posts in unrelated topics - DD ]

I downloaded NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-304.64.tar.gz to my desktop, then extracted it to the desktop, but I can't find out how to install it. Please help.

Please tell me how to install NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-304.64.tar.gz which I downloaded to my desktop, then extracted to my desktop. My system needs a video driver because I'm only getting 800x600 resolution. I installed FreeBSD-9.0-amd64-dvd1.iso, and nothing since has been easy for me. I finally received good advice on how to get gnome to start automatically on bootup.

To install it, you would:

gunzip NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-304.64.tar.gz - Decompresses the file.

tar -xf NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-304.64.tar - Extracts the archive.

cd NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-304.64, there will be a makefile, so type make config, choose your options, then make install clean. - This compiles the software.

veltman said:
Please tell me how to install the nvidia video driver that I downloaded to my desktop. Its NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-304.64.tar.gz. I extracted it to the desktop on my FreeBSD-9.0-amd64 system.

Have you un-tarred it and read through the README file?

# cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver && make install clean

NVIDIA driver

After starting my PC to try the suggested commands to install the NVIDIA driver that I downloaded to my desktop, I discovered that the resolution was 1600x1200 instead of 800x600 even though I did nothing that I am aware of to install the NVIDIA driver. Can anybody explain that mystery? Now I would like to install Java, Flash Player, and ActiveX. I doubt that the handbook will help since it failed to help me install the NVIDIA driver.

ActiveX is a quintessential Windows technology. It only works on Internet Explorer and nothing else.

To install Νvidia-driver as @SirDice said use ports.
Code:
cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver
make config
make install clean
Now go to /boot/loader.conf (If don't exist create it)
Add this line:
nvidia_load="YES"

Back