what's in your make.conf?

I originally moved to FreeBSD from Gentoo. And on Gentoo, make.conf is a very powerful thing. But will the Gentoo philosophy of optimization have as good of an effect with FreeBSD, or will it just break more things?

I set a system up this way with noticeable results, but have yet to test every scenario.

Does anyone even use custom cflags? Or does it lead to long compile times and little else?

Will things like NO_PROFILE=YES and static libraries make a difference on slower systems?

What are some general make.conf tuning suggestions?

Does anything I did actually work? Or do I have it all wrong?

What other tricks do people use? WITHOUT_NLS, setting KDE4_PREFIX to /usr/local, using knobs, etc.

Maybe post some make.confs? People?

Personaly, my make.conf on one system looks like this:

Code:
CPUTYPE=prescott (P4 3.6ghz w/ht)
CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -fomit-frame-pointer (What? no -funroll-loops? Uh?)
COPTFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing (remember, nothing above -O2 is supported!)
CXXFLAGS+=-fconserve-space (adding when availible, as I have a small, 36GB hard disk)
KERNCONF=NBIT
MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER=3 (prescott w/hyperthreading)
BUILD_OPTIMIZED=YES
WITH_CPUFLAGS=YES
BUILD_STATIC=YES (have fast 15k SCSI hdd)
NO_PROFILE=YES
OPTIMZED_CFLAGS=YES
WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS=YES
WITHOUT_NLS=YES (I live in the U.S.)
WITH_X11=YES
WITH_NEW_XORG=YES
WITH_PKGNG=YES (of course)
QT4_OPTIONS= CUPS QGTKSTYLE (makes QT4 apps look good in Xfce)
KDE4_PREFIX=/usr/local (makes all QT4 apps go where they are supposed too)

nbittech said:
Does anyone even use custom cflags? Or does it lead to long compile times and little else?

Not even that good. Not only does it cause breakage, it prevents ports that can use optimized CFLAGS from using them (because you've forced the CFLAGS, overridden them). So it can make things slower.

Will things like NO_PROFILE=YES and static libraries make a difference on slower systems?

Maybe. Or maybe just smaller binaries.

What are some general make.conf tuning suggestions?

Setting CPUTYPE is usually okay. Otherwise, it's all speed holes and red paint.

What other tricks do people use? WITHOUT_NLS, setting KDE4_PREFIX to /usr/local, using knobs, etc.

WITHOUT_X11=yes on servers.

Use devel/ccache if you update source often, or rebuild ports often.

Things in my /etc/make.conf:
Code:
DIALOG="/usr/ports/Tools/scripts/dialogwrapper.sh"   # see [url]http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=34536[/url]
CPUTYPE?=core2     # for i5
WITH_NEW_XORG=yes
WITHOUT_CUPS=yes
RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES=yes
MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER?=8
RUBY_DEFAULT_VER=1.9   # to use ruby 1.9

I prefer to use sysutils/bsdadminscripts for passing different flags for world vs. ports build and on a per-port basis.
Among other things, this port places buildflags.conf(1) which you can tweak to your heart's desire. Just the /usr/src section of that file for example:
Code:
 /usr/src | /usr/src/*{
        CC=     clang
        CPP=    clang-cpp
        CXX=    clang++
        USE_CCACHE
        USE_CCACHE_CPP2
#       USE_DISTCC
        THREADS=        6
        NO_CLEAN
}
Whereas for the ports section the list goes on-and-on, but also has this:
Code:
        BUILDFLAGS_GCC=         4.6+
        GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION=    4.6+
So I am able to use clang for world but gcc4.6 for ports.

The base system creates extra versions of all libraries suffixed with _p in their name for profiled code and those are being linked against if and only if an application was built with profiling enabled. Therefore their presence shouldn't slow down the system.

Static linking would usually slow down applications though, as the binaries need to be paged in individually, while most shared libraries will already have been paged in by other applications that also use them if they also use dynamic linking.

Nothing special.
Code:
VIDEO_DRIVER=ati
WITH_LCD_FILTERING=1

OPTIONS_UNSET= CUPS NLS DOCS
WITHOUT_CUPS=1
WITHOUT_NLS=1
NOPORTDOCS=1

Even CPUTYPE shouldn't be set if you are building all your packages on one machine for all other. Also, setting CPUTYPE to native proved to be safest in the past.

Code:
WITHOUT_DEBUG=          YES
NO_PROFILE=             YES
BUILD_STATIC=           YES
NO_NIS=                 YES
WITH_LCD_FILTERING=     YES
WITH_VDPAU=             YES
WITHOUT_NOUVEAU=        YES
WITHOUT_PULSEAUDIO=     YES
WITH_PKGNG=             YES

.if (!empty(.CURDIR:M/usr/src*) || !empty(.CURDIR:M/usr/obj*))
.if !defined(NOCCACHE)
CC:=${CC:C,^cc,/usr/local/libexec/ccache/world/cc,1}
CXX:=${CXX:C,^c\+\+,/usr/local/libexec/ccache/world/c++,1}

About the only option I tweak is WITHOUT_X11.

Messing with random optimization flags just means that any bugs you encounter are likely to be very difficult to diagnose and/or reproduce by others.

The small gains you'll get aren't worth it, IMHO.

I will probably leave the cflags alone, thanks.

I didn't realize that you can set your video card in make.conf.

As for the famous "-O3 -funroll-loops -ffast-math" it will just lead to massive sized binaries that take forever to compile, and longer to load once compiled, and unless I have an large SSD and 8GB of RAM, (at that point who needs the performance anyway?) I see no benefit. Just not worth it to me.

FreeBSD is wonderful because the ports system gives me the ability to experiment with stuff like this. You can do almost anything with it, it's like having a Swiss-Army-Knife of software.

Oh, and one more question, clang or gcc? I've heard that clang provides faster compilation, whereas gcc produces better optimized code, but with longer compile times.

Unless you're willing to be a tester and submit bug reports, use the default compiler for your release, as that is the one that has been deemed production ready.

FreeBSD 10 is going to default to clang I believe, but in previous releases I believe it is still experimental and a work in progress.

Nothing special:

Code:
# added by use.perl 2012-11-19 16:19:19
PERL_VERSION=5.16.2
WITH_NEW_XORG=true
WITH_KMS=true
CC= /usr/local/bin/gcc47
CXX= /usr/local/bin/g++47

CFLAGS+=        -O3 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -funroll-loops
CXXFLAGS+=      -O3 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -funroll-loops
COPTFLAGS+=     -O3 -pipe -ffast-math -funroll-loops

alie said:
Nothing special:

I think you mean "very special and very broken"

Code:
CFLAGS+=        -O3

O3 adds the following optimizations:

-finline-functions - this option considers every function for inlining even if it isn't specified with "inline". This breaks debuggers and can easily slow down your code (large code size implies more icache misses, less good branch prediction)

-funswitch-loops
A tradeoff of fewer branches vs larger code size.

There is no guarantee of faster generated code.

Code:
-fno-strict-aliasing
This actually makes the resulting code slower. This option exists for C programs which don't follow C's type aliasing rules.

Code:
-funroll-loops
A tradeoff of fewer branches vs larger code size.

Code:
-ffast-math

This option should be renamed -fbroken-math. Some programs or libraries depend on this option not being set. It breaks the math operations in C and C++ and completely disregards the standards: it exists for programs which do not care about the results of the math they compute.

I use --omg-optimized. It's the fast sauce the make genttoo go zoooooom.

http://funroll-loops.info

Seriously though. As much as gentoo makes working with linux tolerable( and Funtoo takes that to the next step) even they recommend not using some of these flags: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-optimization.xml

From their FAQ:
3. Optimization FAQs

But I get better performance with -funroll-loops -fomg-optimize!

No, you only think you do because someone has convinced you that more flags are better. Aggressive flags will only hurt your applications when used system-wide. Even the gcc manual says that using -funroll-loops and -funroll-all-loops makes code larger and run more slowly. Yet for some reason, these two flags, along with -ffast-math, -fforce-mem, -fforce-addr, and similar flags, continue to be very popular among ricers who want the biggest bragging rights.

The truth of the matter is that they are dangerously aggressive flags. Take a good look around the Gentoo Forums and Bugzilla to see what those flags do: nothing good!

You don't need to use those flags globally in CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS. They will only hurt performance. They may make you sound like you have a high-performance system running on the bleeding edge, but they don't do anything but bloat your code and get your bugs marked INVALID or WONTFIX.

You don't need dangerous flags like these. Don't use them. Stick to the basics: -march, -O, and -pipe.

I enjoy working with Funtoo on my laptop to hack around for one of two reasons. The hacker who put the meta-distribution together worked with FreeBSD for many years before he made his own GNU/Linux. It's educational as it truly is somewhere from sort of a custom linux-from-scratch through a semi-automated install. Finally it's probably the only GNU/Linux distro with FreeBSD derived concepts (i.e. portage) so it doesn't seem completely alien. The -zomg-fast-sauce

I have to gree with UNIXGOD, optimized to the point of failure is pointless, as most people want a system that works, rather than bragging rights. You could build a car around an 18 cylinder locomotive engine, but it won't be very fast, just really large, heavy, and fuel thirsty. You probably wouldn't even be able to drive it. But build a small car with a turbocharged 4 cylinder engine, and it works much better. I get the point.

When in doubt, leave it alone. Modern hardware is generally fast enough that I shouldn't need speed over stability. Less is more.
I'm not doubting that there are some optimizations that do work, but the gains are so small that I most likely wouldn't even notice them anyway.
I built a system entirely from packages, then rebuilt it all with optimized code once, and I couldn't even tell the difference, and this was a server that was under at least 70% load all of the time.

The more things one messes with, the harder it becomes to solve problems.

And I know that this is the FreeBSD forum, but Gentoo is fun as well. (I just prefer FreeBSD because it is so much simpler and less time-consuming.)

Optimization trough compilers is the wrong approach anyway. You should be looking at more time efficient algorithms to improve your software if lower running time is the goal, not some magical compiler flags that supposedly can fix your naively written code automagically.

If the code is crap, aggressive compiler flags will just make it worse. If the code is clean, and well-written, you shouldn't need extra flags anyway. There is no "magic bullet."

But sometimes it is fun to see what happens!

That's the point of hacking, right?

When you have old hardware laying around (or nowdays, extra RAM and disk space for more VMs) it's easy to test things like this.

I think that I should focus my time more on how I set up a system, rather than how I optimize the code.

nbittech said:
If the code is crap, aggressive compiler flags will just make it worse. If the code is clean, and well-written, you shouldn't need extra flags anyway. There is no "magic bullet."

But sometimes it is fun to see what happens!

That's the point of hacking, right?

When you have old hardware laying around (or nowdays, extra RAM and disk space for more VMs) it's easy to test things like this.

I think that I should focus my time more on how I set up a system, rather than how I optimize the code.

It's a better reason than some that I've heard. I imagine it also opens up some interest for new users to see how to mess with the compiler a bit even if they aren't c programmers. Not sure how much of these flags will be in clang, or is it llvm.

On my laptop I have funtoo installed. I can run this and it dumps all the processor specific flags which are detected with --march=native. Mind you this is gcc version 4.6.3:

% echo "" | gcc -march=native -v -E - 2>&1 | grep cc1
Code:
 /usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.3/cc1 -E -quiet -v - 
-march=corei7-avx -mcx16 -msahf -mno-movbe -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mno-abm 
-mno-lwp -mno-fma -mno-fma4 -mno-xop -mno-bmi -mno-tbm -mavx -msse4.2 
-msse4.1 --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param 
l2-cache-size=4096 -mtune=corei7-avx

with that I can just use native or copy and paste the results as so:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=corei7-avx -mcx16 -msahf -mno-movbe -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt 
-mno-abm -mno-lwp -mno-fma -mno-fma4 -mno-xop -mno-bmi -mno-tbm -mavx 
-msse4.2 -msse4.1 --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 
--param l2-cache-size=4096 -mtune=corei7-avx -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS=${CFLAGS}

With 9.1 on the horizon with intel video support I look forward to popping FreeBSD on my laptop. When I do I'll report back to this thread on any customizations worth investigating.

nbittech do you program? When you start setting up your system try building yourself some custom automation scripts. If you want a interesting project to try. Create a script which deploys jails in one step. Experiment with different tunings and settings within your jails. Write a mini bench-marker to provide results on your experiments.

Nothing wrong with hacking around as it's a great way to learn and explore the system. I used to mess with the FreeBSD make.conf() settings. The results won't be as over the top as you may have seen on your gentoo boxes.

Another area which may interest you is src.conf().

I've always been sensible as regards optimization and assumed that the developers know best. I would rather have stable, known code, that I can debug easily. Instead I try and optimize the compilation rather than the run speed by using ccache and parallel make jobs and I've been experimenting with clang. I also have some logic for per-port build flags. My make.conf is pretty long but might give some interesting insights.

Code:
KERNCONF=TAO
BATCH_DELETE_OLD_FILES=yes
SVN_UPDATE=yes
SVN=/usr/local/bin/svn
#PORTSNAP_UPDATE=yes
#SUP_UPDATE=yes
#SUPFLAGS=-4 -g -L2
#SUPFILE=/usr/local/etc/csup-src
WRKDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj
FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes
DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes