PKGNG - portmaster disabled problem

On two servers, I followed the instructions for updating to pkgng, with portmaster:
Code:
# portsnap fetch update
# make -C /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster config clean build deinstall install
# echo "WITH_PKGNG=yes" >> /etc/make.conf
# pkg2ng
Now, one machine updates with portmaster without complaint, but the other says:
Code:
"Package installation support cannot be used with pkgng yet, it will be disabled."
I reinstalled portmaster again, but that didn't help. Suggestions?

FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE

Yes, I've already tried twice
# make -C /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster config clean build deinstall install

and confirmed PKGNGPATCH box was checked. Same problem. And then attempting to run pkg2ng again complains of corrupted formats, since it uses pkg_info(1). So I'm still stuck.

"Package installation support cannot be used with pkgng yet, it will be disabled." Means just what it says.. You cannot use portmaster to install -packages- only ports.

Thanks, but as I mentioned, one (identically configured) other machine doesn't issue that warning. So still a bit of a puzzle...

Portmaster installed ports, but I haven't manually installed any packages using the 'pkg' command. Is that what you mean?

The portmaster warning about packages should only come up if you're running it with the -P or -PP flag (or equivalent setting in /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc, like using only packages for build dependencies, etc.).

Installing ports with portmaster while using binary packages for build-only dependencies (removing them right after installation) is a very nice thing to have. That's a regular option in portmaster.rc, and I hope to see it working again soon.

I need some clarification. I used portmaster, and I am on a fresh 9.1-RELEASE, should I now only use pkg install to install the ports or I can still use a string as # portmaster /lang/php5 or is installation with # cd /usr/ports/lang/php5/ && make install clean also fine? I am not sure with installation way I can use and which I should not mix.

Get clear on the difference between packages and ports: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/ports.html

I suggest you use ports, and portmaster is a great utility for managing ports. If you don't have it installed already, # cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster && make install clean. Also, drop the leading slash from your portmaster command: # portmaster lang/php5.

And make sure you read up on the options for portmaster: # man portmaster

Fresh install of FBSD 9.1

For a fresh install of FreeBSD 9.1 (since July 2013 and probably earlier), do NOT invoke the pkg command. Do the fresh install like this:

Fresh install per usual, login/password, do minor housekeeping, then in this order:
  1. Add
    Code:
    WITH_PKGNG=yes
    to /etc/make.conf
  2. portsnap fetch extract
  3. cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg ( make install clean)
  4. cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster ( make install clean)
then use pkg version to show installed ports and portmaster -L to confirm the same thing.

If you simply type pkg instead of installing pkg from the ports collection as described above, it will install an earlier version of pkg which doesn't play nice with portmaster. On a fresh install you do NOT need to run pkg2ng, since there is no database to convert at that point.

I confirmed this behavior on a Virtualbox install a few minutes ago (using x32 architecture, but it is certainly also true for the x64 platform.)

Cheers!

PS - this may be needed for the upcoming 9.2 release as well, so do the ports collection install and avoid a headache.

DutchDaemon said:
Installing ports with portmaster while using binary packages for build-only dependencies (removing them right after installation) is a very nice thing to have. That's a regular option in portmaster.rc, and I hope to see it working again soon.

This somehow bite me after just reading announcement and finally taking the plunge.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pkg/2013-October/000107.html

Previously, I was waiting for packages to appear exactly because of this portmaster's feature.

I don't have a solution to the problem, but in my case I got rid of the warning by removing --packages-build from my command line (or rather, PM_PACKAGES_BUILD=pmp_build from my portmaster.rc file).

It's not -P or -PP, but causes the same error when the port you're building has build dependencies for which you've already built packages.

Included here for posterity.

Back