Unknown modifier 'u' ... Variable ALL_OPTIONS is recursive.

After executing the command [cmd=]pkg_deinstall tcl[/cmd] make starts to give error messages for every package:

Code:
[root@freebsd62 /usr/ports/www/xsp]# make
Unknown modifier 'u'

Variable ALL_OPTIONS is recursive.
[root@freebsd62 /usr/ports/www/xsp]# echo $ALL_OPTIONS

[root@freebsd62 /usr/ports/www/xsp]#

How to fix make?

/etc/make.conf was emptied by me

# make -V ALL_OPTIONS

still gives the same error message

Code:
[root@freebsd62 /usr/ports/lang/tcl84]# make
Unknown modifier 'u'

Variable ALL_OPTIONS is recursive.

Something in your ports tree is corrupted, then.

You can try to remove /usr/ports/Mk and /usr/ports/lang/tcl84 directories, then update your ports tree to re-download them, and see if that fixes the issue.

If it doesn't, try removing the entire tree and re-downloading it.

Recent changes in /usr/ports/Mk depend on the 'u' variable expansion modifier that was added to make(1) about 6 years ago. The man page in 6.4-RELEASE documents that modifier but the man page on 6.3-RELEASE-p13 does not, so it may be possible to resolve this issue with a minimal update if you are unable to go to a supported version. It may even be workable to just build yourself a new make binary from 6.4 or later source.

I still have one machine at 6.3-RELEASE-p13 that has this problem but I'm also already in the process of evacuating and decommissioning it, so I'm just treating this as a message from the Beastie that I need to prioritize that work.

I have a jail without sources under 6.3-STABLE. I copied all the content of the /usr/src/usr.src/make/ directory from another machine with 8.3-RELEASE, in that directory gave `make` command, then copied the "make" executable to /usr/bin/ . Now I again can update ports. Thanks.

Back