upgrading devel/pkgconfig to devel/pkgconf

Today I updated my system with portsnap fetch update; portmaster -a, but it ran into an error:
Code:
pkgconf-0.8.3 conflicts with installed package(s):
      pkg-config-0.25_1
      They install files into the same place.
      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
pkg_delete(1) didn't work due to a mass of dependencies, so I went to google and came up with this: http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg43002.html
It tels me to "see UPDATING for instructions". I have no idea where to find this.

So I googled some more and came accross something telling me to run portmaster -o devel/pkg-config devel/pkgconf
Which outputs:
Code:
===>>> The first argument to -o must be a directory in /usr/ports
Indeed, the devel/pkg-config directory does not exist any more, presumably from updating my ports tree earlier. The pkgconf folder is there though, as expected.

How do I go from here?

From /usr/ports/UPDATING:

Code:
20120726:
  AFFECTS: users of devel/pkg-config
  AUTHOR: bapt@FreeBSD.org

devel/pkg-config has been replaced by devel/pkgconf

# portmaster -o devel/pkgconf devel/pkg-config
  or
  # portupgrade -o devel/pkgconf devel/pkg-config

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me either. The solution was to delete the package and reinstall it:

[CMD=""]# pkg_delete -f pkg-config[/CMD]
[CMD=""]# cd /usr/ports/devel/pkgconf && make install clean[/CMD]

If nothing else works you can forcefully uninstall pkg-config, almost none of the ports that are depending on it now actually need it to work. There is ongoing work to strip those unnecessary run time dependencies to pkg-config/pkgconf

I've spoken to a few people on IRC and it seems the first version of UPDATING had a slight error. It said to do:
# portmaster -o devel/pkg-config devel/pkgconf

But this is the wrong way around. It should be:
# portmaster -o devel/pkgconf devel/pkg-config

The UPDATING file has been updated but you may still have the 'older' version with the error.

Using portupgrade, the upgrade will not work regardless of the order of the port names:
# portupgrade -v -o devel/pkgconf devel/pkg-config -> "None has been installed or upgraded"
# portupgrade -v -o devel/pkg-config devel/pkgconf -> "Port directory not found: devel/pkg-config"

Has anyone actually done the forced deinstall of old / install of new package?

ports-mgmt/portmaster wants a package name as the second argument if there's no port directory anymore. I bet it's the same with ports-mgmt/portupgrade

# portupgrade -v -o devel/pkgconf pkg-config

By forced deinstall I meant something like:

# pkg_delete -fx pkg-config
# portmaster --check-depends

The second command would then ask if the dependencies to non existing pkg-config should be kept, you would answer no.

Back