nvidia-driver crashes computer on X start

Hi. I seem to have a problem. X.org will not start whenever I load the drivers installed from the latest nvidia-drivers port. The error also happens with the older versions of said drivers. The error doesn't occur with the normal "nv" drivers.

What happens is this:

1) $ startx
2) The normal startup stuff flickers by on screen. I'm not sure exactly what it says as the screen goes black to load up X in less than a second (it always does this).
3) It then switches display mode or something like that. It goes from proper "this screen is currently not showing anything at all"-black to "this screen is on and is rendering black pixels"-black. It might sound strange but I can't describe it any better. The black gets a different hue which isn't displayed when I start X with the default nv drivers.
4) Everything just locks up. The new black :)P) stays. I can't switch to another terminal with CTRL+ALT+F#, I can-t CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE nor CTRL+ALT+DELETE. I was playing music with the CLI player "herrie" once and it repeated the same millisecond of sound over and over and over. A proper lock-up.
5) I hit the reboot button.

Now the bad thing is that I can't find any logs of what happens. I removed Xorg.0.log and Xorg.0.log.old before running startx once and no log is produced as far as I can see. "messages" show nothing in particular, same with the "all.log" that I set up - unless I'm missing something very obvious, but I don't really think so.

I have tried reinstalling xorg-server and nvidia-driver many times. I've also had the same problem on a completely different FreeBSD install on the same computer, before a broken HDD forced me to reinstall completely. It was the same version.

I've made sure that the driver is actually loaded with kldstat, and have not used "kldload nvidia" as it's said that it's best to put an entry in /boot/loader.conf and restart instead. This is what I have done.

/dev/nvidia0 and /dev/nvidiactl show up after the drivers are installed and the computer rebooted.

My card is an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB, and is supported by the drivers.

uname-a output:
Code:
FreeBSD sino.######### 7.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Jan  1 14:37:25 UTC 2009 [email]root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu[/email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

xorg.conf:
Code:
[SIZE="1"]Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
	ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "xtrap"
	Load  "dri"
	Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "auto"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "nvidia"
	VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
	BoardName   "GeForce 8800 GTS 512"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
	Option	    "RenderAccel" "True"
	Option	    "NoRenderExtensions" "False"
	Option	    "NoFlip" "False"
	Option	    "UseEdid" "True"
	Option	    "NvAGP" "1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     1
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     4
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     8
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     15
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     16
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
	EndSubSection
EndSection[/SIZE]
This xorg.conf was generated with X -configure after having installed nvidia-drivers. I have also manually edited xorg.conf in a minimal way, but it doesn't change anything at all it would seem.

My guess is that there's something conflicting with the nvidia drivers in my system that's on by default. Unfortunately I have no idea what this could be. My first goal is being able to find/create logs of what actually happen, so if you have any idea on how to do this, feel free to share.

If I have failed to include any relevant info, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for reading (and hopefully helping!).