Change Terminal Text Size

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought here would be the most appropriate place.

I wanted to know if there is any way of changing the font size when running FreeBSD without a gui. On my 1440x900 monitor, the text comes up in about 30pt or so, but when I used Gentoo from the install cd the text was much smaller, even though it was commandline too.

Can the font size be made smaller in FreeBSD?

TylerGriffiths said:
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought here would be the most appropriate place.

Well, it certainly wasn't. The first post in that sub-forum: Posting in Howtos & FAQs:

Threads in this sub-forum are for explaining 'how to' do certain things on FreeBSD, not for asking 'how to' do something.

Moved to General.

TylerGriffiths said:

I wanted to know if there is any way of changing the font size when running FreeBSD without a gui. On my 1440x900 monitor, the text comes up in about 30pt or so, but when I used Gentoo from the install cd the text was much smaller, even though it was commandline too.

Linux often uses a bitmap console. FreeBSD uses actual text mode. A graphic mode can be used, but it's not particularly versatile. Using X For A High Resolution Console On FreeBSD shows how to use X for an equivalent hires console without a full GUI.

Can the font size be made smaller in FreeBSD?

It's really about increasing the screen resolution, which ends up making the fonts look smaller.

There is a trick to use 8x8 fonts (and perhaps 8x14 too). Also your kernel must be compiled with VESA and SC_PIXEL_MODE (this should be the default in 9.0-RELEASE), it works on real and virtual machines.

Use vidcontrol to change text mode with 8x8 font:
[CMD=">"]vidcontrol 80x50[/CMD]
Then set a graphics hires mode
[CMD=">"]vidcontrol MODE_nnn[/CMD]
where nnn is one of the graphics mode, to list all available modes:
[CMD=">"]vidcontrol -i mode[/CMD]

Hope it works for you too.

Back