Install Desktop Environment on FreeBSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I'm a total noob in FreeBSD systems. I was an linux system before but I'm looking for something different now.

I installed freebsd FreeBSD correctly (I think so), and when I restart the computer it only shows me a terminal, or how do you say that some text and a black screen. How can I install an desktop environment?

I like KDE 4.8?

If this has been posted before can I get the link of that thread?

p.s: I really want to learn more about FreeBSD, any handbooks or pdf files or websites on this?

Thanks.

Hippie said:
I'm sorry if this has been posted before,but im total noob in BSD system i was an linux system before but im looking for something different now.
I installed freebsd correctly (i think so), And when i restart the computer it only shows me an terminal-or how do you say that some text and an black screen. How can i install an desktop environment?
I like KDE 4.8?

if this has been posted before can i get the link of that thread?

p.s: i really want to learn more about FREEBSD any handbooks or pdf files or websites on this?

thanks

Yes google FreeBSD handbook and the information you seek will be there

Hippie said:
p.p.s
Do i need to be connected to the net when i do this
pkg_add -r gnome2?

Of course unless your installing from the dvd.

UNIXgod said:
Yes google FreeBSD handbook and the information you seek will be there

Of course unless your installing from the dvd.

I'm installing from DVD, and I'm not quite sure if I set up the connection right.

Can you post the installation code for installing KDE 4.7.3 or 4.8 on freebsd FreeBSD?
pkg_add -r gnome2

And which desktop enviroment is default or more supported in freebsd FreeBSD, KDE or Gnome?

Oh and why isn't a desktop enviroment already installed in freebsd FreeBSD? Why do you have to do it manually?

Hippie, seriously:

• Read the forum rules about writing proper posts and formatting immediately, this level of posting is not acceptable, and I don't feel like editing all of your posts to make them readable. These rules were sent by email when you signed up. You're supposed to read what we send you.
  • Read the 'Sticky' topics in the General forum, especially the one about What is FreeBSD?. Your lack of understanding about what FreeBSD actually is, especially compared to Linux, needs to be remedied before you ask more questions here, or you will get replies that will not be very helpful (to put it nicely) pretty soon.
  • Read the FreeBSD Handbook before posting any more questions. It was written for a reason, and it answers most questions you might have.
  • Please consider using PC-BSD, which is a 'distro' of FreeBSD with a choice of desktop environments, like KDE, Gnome, and XFCE pre-configured. FreeBSD is not a 'desktop OS', it is basically a server-orientated OS that can be used as a desktop if you put in the hours to learn how everything works.

Sorry for the tough love, but I can feel that this will become disruptive pretty quickly. Please read up before posting more, and make sure you check out PC-BSD.*

* P.S.: I see you're doing that: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=30034 - Good. But ask any questions about PC-BSD on their forums.

Closing this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back