Binary upgrade to 9.0-RC1: failure at integrity check

# freebsd-update -r 9.0-RC1 upgrade

Code:
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 8.2-RELEASE from update5.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic src/base src/bin src/cddl src/contrib src/crypto src/etc
src/games src/gnu src/include src/krb5 src/lib src/libexec src/release
src/rescue src/sbin src/secure src/share src/sys src/tools src/ubin
src/usbin world/base world/catpages world/dict world/doc world/games
world/info world/lib32 world/manpages world/proflibs

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Fetching metadata signature for 9.0-RC1 from update5.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.

The update metadata is correctly signed, but
failed an integrity check.
Cowardly refusing to proceed any further.

Regards

eirnym said:
Try to "fix" freebsd-update:
sed -i '' -e 's/=_/=%@_/' /usr/sbin/freebsd-update

Is /usr/sbin/freebsd-update wrong?

I really do not know what to think about this :\

I see now, Thanks.

Update: Error at # portupgrade -af

Since tomorrow I will be too busy for this. Wiping the installation and waiting for 9.x-Release.

See you soon!

At last I installed 9.0-RC1 a couple of days after, and I just have updated from source, my first time :beergrin

P.S.: I had a "little" problem with mergemaster -p, but I know I will never make the same mistake :r

renice said:
Now it's time to go ahead - 9.0-RC2 still waits on servers :p

Hehe, I do not need to wait anymore :e

BTW, is it possible to use freebsd-update after going the compiling path, or better not to do it? :q

Update 2011/11/19 - 20:30 : I tried to, and it was not possible.

Code:
# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.0-PRERELEASE from update4.FreeBSD.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.0-PRERELEASE from update5.FreeBSD.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.0-PRERELEASE from update2.FreeBSD.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.0-PRERELEASE from update3.FreeBSD.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

So, no security updates for me?

Hi, my name is Matias Colli and the problem lies in a broken version of freebsd-update(8) which got fixed in FreeBSD 9.0-RC1. To fix your version simply run the following command: bsd-hacking# sed -i '' -e 's/=_/=%@_/' /usr/sbin/freebsd-update.

I have already solved the problem, but thanks anyway.

BTW, sort of a week or two ago I received an email informing me that a PR I submitted some years ago was solved.

wblock@ said:
Thank you, but you're replying to a post from 2011.

At least they got a response. I've posted 3 questions about this same issue on the freebsd-questions mail list over the last 2 weeks and got ZERO responses.

This was still a problem upgrading from latest 9.0-RELEASE patch level (p7), to 9.3-RELEASE. (Ye Olde The update metadata is correctly signed, but failed an integrity check. Cowardly refusing to proceed any further thing.)

So out of curiosity (and since I couldn't get any help from anyone on the mail list) I tried setting the target to 9.2-RELEASE instead. BOOM, worked just fine. So something is apparently hosed in the syntax somewhere in either 9.0-RELEASE-p7 or 9.3-RELEASE. 9.2-RELEASE to 9.3-RELEASE worked OK too.

But now the problem I'm having is I'm not sure what freebsd-update() wants me to do with ports after it runs the second time after restart. It admonishes to rebuild all installed 3rd-party software but I don't know what this means with respect to ports. I tried to make install on previously-installed ports and it wouldn't run because they were already installed. I tried make reinstall on them, which works on some but fails on others.

Martillo1 said:
Update: devel/ccache is the solution for all my problems :e

12 minutes to make buildworld.
5 minutes to make buidkernel.

That sounds like a handy tool, but honestly after all the time I've wasted on this "simple" binary upgrade process, I would have been better off doing buildworld/installworld like I used to do in the 4.x days, without any caching and on an old Pentium...

Back