Can we use stdlib.h, string.h in kernel module ?

Hello All,

I am asking very tivial question here. I wish to port a kernel module from Linux to FreeBSD. While porting I came accross various standard library routins which are not available for usage in FreeBSD kernel <string.h>, <stdlib.h>. I am getting implicit declaration warnings on usage of these functions and compilation won't be through as warning == errorafter inclusion on <bsd.kmod.mk>

Can someone help me on this subject?

tmulkar said:
Hello All,
While porting I came accross various standard library routins which are not availalbe for usage in FreeBSD kernel <string.h>, <stdlib.h>

What do you mean not available for use?

Code:
> grep -r stdlib.h /usr/src/sys                                                    
./amd64/amd64/bpf_jit_machdep.c:#include <stdlib.h>
./boot/ficl/ficl.c:#include <stdlib.h>
./boot/ficl/fileaccess.c:#include <stdlib.h>
./boot/ficl/float.c:#include <stdlib.h>
[snipped]

Looks like it's used plenty.

They are part of the standard C library.

The kernel has no access to any library, including the standard C libraries.

As far as I know the kernel has its own standard C library that is standalone and does not depend on the userland C library.

Well as kpa said kernel has its own library and not dependent on usr lib. I had a look at libkern.h but not all functions are defined here. For the time being I have defined some of the functions in my module itself as I am not sure why they are not included in kernel. But now I am facing same issue with "stdarg.h"

Is it true that FreeBSD kernel code does not use variable argument type fucntions and that's why we don't have them in kernel library?

Grepping kernel sources for "va_list" shows that parts of the kernel use it. Try <machine/stdarg.h>.

Back