Dennis Ritchie (September 9, 1941 - October 9, 2011)

I meet Dennis once, maybe talked to him about 5 minutes. But he left a lasting impression on me about his love for simplicity and UNIX. Another one of my hero's is dead. My deepest condolences go out to his family and to the UNIX community.

Has anyone confirmed it? I don't like jumping to conclusions after a single Google+ post by someone.

Not the worlds most reliable source but his wikipedia page has been updated too.

Another sad day...

It's amazing how the ideas of a single man can change the entire world.
Without your work, non of us would be here in this forum today.

We really miss you, Dennis.

It is sad to have found this out a couple of days later than when it really happened. Since learning how to program in 2005, C was the first language I learned and where I credit my grown interest in the discipline. I am not really that well versed with C as I took the jump to object oriented programming quite immediately though I have done some projects with C as well.

vYXNwMw

Don't be sad, the people who he would have wanted to be remembered by are remembering. I'm sure he would have not wanted to be remembered by people who had no real understanding of what he did for our industry/hobby/passion.

R.I.P

shitson said:
Don't be sad, the people who he would of wanted to remembered by are remembering. I'm sure he would of not wanted to be remembered by people who had no real understanding of what he did for our industry/hobby/passion.

R.I.P

I couldn't agree with more with this sentiment.

shitson said:
Don't be sad, the people who he would of wanted to remembered by are remembering. I'm sure he would of not wanted to be remembered by people who had no real understanding of what he did for our industry/hobby/passion.

R.I.P

That is possibly the most worthy epitaph for him that I could ever read.

Back