Code:
hp# ll INDEX-*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  22891253 Sep 28 13:12 INDEX-6
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  24370755 Sep 29 14:15 INDEX-7
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  24398870 Sep 29 14:15 INDEX-8
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  41568256 Sep 28 13:13 INDEX-8.db
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  24375369 Sep 29 14:15 INDEX-9
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  91869184 Sep 29 14:22 INDEX-9.db
There is only one bug still open in 9.0-BETA3 where it doesn't generate INDEX-9. A quick workaround for this is to issue a:

[CMD=""]#make fetchindex [/CMD]

within the /usr/ports directory.

IIRC, when I use portsnap on FreeBSD 5.5, it downloaded new version of software, like vim 7. (It should download vim 6).
But, I will install fresh FreeBSD 5.5 on virtualbox to test your suggestion.

gkontos said:
FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE is no longer officially supported. My suggestion is not likely to work there.

I don't use FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE. I only want to test if portsnap will not download Port for newest version.

So, all I need to is:
portsnap fetch
portsnap extract update

And my FreeBSD 8.2 will not get Ports for FreeBSD 9?

Portsnap will give you the most up to date version of the ports tree regardless of the FreeBSD version you're using, in other words there are no separate ports trees for different FreeBSD versions, just one.

There is only one ports tree, and it's the same for all versions of FreeBSD. csup(1) with the right date= could get the ports tree as it was when 5.5-RELEASE came out, but that's usually a mistake because there are bound to have been many security fixes in ported applications since 2006.

fefaya said:
I don't use FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE. I only want to test if portsnap will not download Port for newest version.

So, all i need to is:
- portsnap fetch
- portsnap extrac/update

And my FreeBSD 8.2 will not get Ports for FreeBSD 9?

Like the others mentioned above there is only one ports tree, just different INDEXES depending on the release version you follow.

Regarding FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE I can't remember if portsnap was included or you had to install it from ports.

For FreeBSD 9.0-BETA3, currently available, you will not get an INDEX unless you do what I described earlier.

It would help to know what exactly you want to do / upgrade ...

A ports tree from the days of FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE...

Say hi to Gnome 1 from me :)

I doubt that anything from the 5.5-RELEASE era ports tree will build on the later FreeBSD versions due to changes in bsd.ports.Mk and different / newer libraries and binaries in base.

gkontos said:
Like the others mentioned above there is only one ports tree, just different INDEXES depending on the release version you follow.

Regarding FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE I can't remember if portsnap was included or you had to install it from ports.

For FreeBSD 9.0-BETA3, currently available, you will not get an INDEX unless you do what I described earlier.

It would help to know what exactly you want to do / upgrade ...

Like i said before, i don't use FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE. I use 8.2-RELEASE. I just don't want to my 8.2-RELEASE VPS get Ports collection that only suitable for FreeBSD 9.

And sorry, i don't know what can i do with INDEX file.

fefaya said:
Like i said before, i don't use FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE. I use 8.2-RELEASE. I just don't want to my 8.2-RELEASE VPS get Ports collection that only suitable for FreeBSD 9.

Well, then good news: there isn't a version of the ports collection that's only suitable for FreeBSD 9!

Like it or not, you'll get absolutely everything there is in the ports tree when you check it out with portsnap or csup. Some ports may not work with your version of FreeBSD, some may have problems on earlier versions of the OS but that's just something you'll have to deal with.

kpa said:
that's just something you'll have to deal with.

Is there any tips to that?
One that comes to my mind is : only install from Ports if we really need to compile the code by ourself. If we don't need some custom setting, we should use pkg_add?

fefaya said:
Is there any tips to that?
One that comes to my mind is : only install from Ports if we really need to compile the code by ourself. If we don't need some custom setting, we should use pkg_add?

General advice, don't mix ports with packages.

I know that this might sound cliche but read the handbook especially the part that is dealing with applications.

Also, given the fact that you are dealing with a server, which means that you don't really need so much software installed. Ports would be a better choice than packages.

Back