Xorg freeze on vmware

I've been trying to run Xorg on FreeBSD on VMware. I have installed FreeBSD from disc, then added packages from the server. Free BSD itself seems to work fine.

In /etc/rc.conf, I have dbus and hald enabled with

Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

I have run # Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro

This gave the screen with the "X" for a cursor. However that cursor did not move with the mouse - should it? The mouse cursor does seem to move, albeit slowly, outside that test. When instaling I went through the mouse daemon and the mouse cursor did move.

I have then done # cp xorg.conf.new /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf

on startx X11 will start, and displays on the screen fine (black background white windows with green title bars) The clock at the top right hand corner works, but the system is unresponsive to mouse or keyboard.

Any ideas where it has gone wrong anyone?

Once I get this working I aim to set up KDE or gnome, so if the above is a problem that does not need fixing if I'm doing that please let me know.
thanks.
Peter

Enabling dbus and hal in /etc/rc.conf only takes effect when the system starts. So either restart the FreeBSD VM, or start dbus and hal manually:
# service dbus start && service hald start

The FreeBSD VM might also need drivers specific to the VM host, like x11-drivers/xf86-input-vmmouse.

PC-BSD is an alternative to setting everything up yourself.

Back