new port request: despotify

I'd like to put in a request for despotify, an open spotify lib. The homepage is here:

http://despotify.se/source-code/

There is a svn repo with a tarball download features.

I'm doing okay hacking around with the source a bit, but I don't think I have the full expertise to forge a proper port out of this. I'd be happy to help a more experienced porter.

thanks!
brad

Porting is relatively easy. We even have a handbook for that too.

It's fixing the code itself that's sometimes quite challanging :e

Porter's handbook

Yes, in this case there is a little bit of code triage that needs to be done. The code doesn't compile without modification, and there isn't autotools support, just a Makefile

thanks
brad

Patches to the source can be applied in a port. Just diff the files and put the patches in the files/ directory of the port. The porter's handbook also explains this.

The Porter's Handbook is good, but you can also learn a lot from looking at an existing port that's similar to the new one.

Basic build instructions

Hi,

I wanted to get the 'simple' despotify client running on my FreeBSD machine, especially for the ability to listen for remote commands.

Here is a basic guide to build, I haven't looked into gmake install as of yet. When I get time I will see if I can put a decent port together.

Install required libs (as superuser):
Code:
portmaster audio/libvorbis audio/mpg123

Checked out revision 517:
Code:
svn co https://despotify.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/despotify despotify

Create Makefile.local.mk from Makefile.local.mk.dist:
Code:
--- Makefile.local.mk.dist      2012-01-28 13:27:27.000000000 +0000
+++ Makefile.local.mk   2012-01-28 13:30:41.000000000 +0000
@@ -14,7 +14,7 @@
        # MAEMO4 = 1

## Install prefix
-       # INSTALL_PREFIX = /usr
+       # INSTALL_PREFIX = /usr/local

## Specify ncurses include path explicitly. (should contain curses.h)
        # NCURSES_INCLUDE = /usr/local/include/ncursesw
@@ -33,3 +33,8 @@
        ## via 'port install ..', try uncommenting these lines
        # CFLAGS += -I/opt/local/include
        # LDFLAGS += -L/opt/local/lib
+
+       ## FreeBSD
+       CFLAGS += -I/usr/local/include
+       LDFLAGS += -lpthread -L/usr/local/lib
+

and..
Code:
gmake

HTH some of you desperates! Sorry to necro-firstpost :e

Has anyone got some reasonable success with this? I built it successfully, but it segfaults all over the place.

Thanks.

In the meanwhile, I got the Windows client running with Wine. While not perfect, it does play music :)

P.S.
I also tried the Linux version, but this requires QT4. Apparently there's no linux-qt4 in ports?

Carpetsmoker said:
In the meanwhile, I got the Windows client running with Wine. While not perfect, it does play music :)

I'm going to assume that you haven't tried, but ask anyway, did you by any change get Wine-Spotify integrated into musicpd? That was my original reason for wanting to have despotify. It was fantastic to be able to play all kinds of music from different sources, with a lot of possibilities to control it, etc etc.

Will probably have to wait to a new despotify-type client.

Back